Help! Vegetable Gardening

jlcasalettoAugust 10, 2014

Hi all- I am hoping for some suggestions. About a month ago when we were having work done in our yard, workers ran over and completely destroyed our well ( our only source of outside water). Ever since I have been diligently using a five gallon bucket to water the garden and keep it flourshing. Little did I know, my husband decided to empty gasoline from our edger into the bucket the other day. When watering my plants I noticed a gasoline smell (but I am also 33 weeks pregnant and always smelling something) there was also a light filmy residue on the top of the water- which at the time I attributed to the recent rains. Needless to say, I have now used this bucket to water twice. It has only been a few days since the initial watering, but the plants seem to be ok. If they continue to survive, my questions are as follows:

Are the vegetables themselves contaminated since the soil was exposed to watery gasoline residue? Should I wait it out a few more days and see what happens?

Do I scrap the garden altogether for this season based on potential contamination, or is there still hope?

Should I remove all the growing/ ripe vegetables today- in fear of contamination-continue to water ( with a clean bucket!) and hope for new growth?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! As I mentioned being 33 weeks pregnant is probably contributing to my fears of eating anything out of my garden, yet it has been a constant source of food all summer and I hate to give that up!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achang89(Z6)

In your situation, I would not want to eat anything out of the contaminated garden.

It should be ok the next year since the released amount is very small. But just to be cautious, I'd move the vegetable garden to another place and only plant ornamental or edibles for birds or dog.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Monmouth County Master Gardeners Spring Garden Day is May 15 / 16 at
Sale of Annuals, Perennials; Hanging baskets; container...
blrhudugi
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Where to get pine bark fine in north Jersey?
I had good luck with 5-1-1 but had yet to find a good...
BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
Sponsored Products
A & L Furniture Yellow Pine High Adirondack Chair - 669-UNFINISHED
$249.99 | Hayneedle
Rubbermaid Configurations 4 - 8 ft. Titanium Deluxe Closet Kit -FG3H8900TITNM Mu
$154.99 | Hayneedle
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Keswick-Style Outdoor Pearl Bronze Solar Powered Meta
$42.43 | Home Depot
Flower Petal Mosaic Gazing Ball
$39.99 | zulily
Acadia 7-piece Sling Cast Aluminum Table Dining Set
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Mystic William Ivory 5 ft. 9 in.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™