What cutting annual flower to grow?

prairiemaid(z3 MB Canada)February 2, 2005

I want to grow an annual flower that is good for cutting and also blooms in July or August for zone 3. I can start seedlings indoors. They would be transplanted to the garden end of May.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Zinnias Benary's Giant Blue Point Series
Rudbeckias
Sunflowers

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 1:14AM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Perhaps the best cut flower I have ever met (and I have met a lot) is clary sage, or more specifically Salvia horminum. It's an annual which reseeds itself, and bears coloured bracts of deep pink, blue-violet or white with deeper colour striations. Plants will last at least one week in a vase (two weeks not unusual) and are easy to start, will grow almost anywhere. They perform beautifully in full sun and moist soil, but I have also grown them in varying degrees of shade and sunny, xeric conditions with excellent results. They usually begin flowering in June and will continue into about the third frost. Best flowering time is probably July-Sept. They are come and cut again plants.
Seeds available from Ontario Seed Company and William Dam.
Also consider larkspur. It's much easier to direct sow, but needs an early sowing to prosper (usually with the peas.) I have sometimes sown the seed on melting snow with good results.
Peak bloom is June through August. The more you cut, the better they bloom. They will go to seed if not picked or deadheaded.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 3:23PM
prairiemaid(z3 MB Canada)

Thanks for the ideas.

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Overwintering Tree form lavender
My inlaws gave my wife a lavender 'tree' for mother's...
Sherwood Botsford
24 / 24 - light / darkness and more
Hi All, Summary: Can flowering tropical plants survive...
ejohnchat
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™