Why won't my clethra bloom already?!

garden4wildlife(z8 GA)August 13, 2005

I have a 4 foot tall Clethra alnifolia in a 5 gallon pot. It's been in that pot since March (I'm waiting to plant it when it gets cooler - I didn't plant it when I first bought it, and shortly thereafter found out I would be moving in summer, so it's just stayed in the pot). The soil it's in is Miracle Grow moisture control. It's getting mostly shade in the morning and indirect sun in the afternoon.

In early July, it put out around 2 dozen stems with many buds on each...then it just stopped. It's been probably 6 weeks now, and the buds have not opened, have not changed size, and have not even yellowed/fallen off which is what I would expect if there was some kind of problem. In the past few days, they've started drooping but they're still the same green color they've been all along and they don't look withered or dried up at all. So what is going on here? Is it normal for Clethra to take so long to open? Why are the buds beginning to droop? This is my first Clethra so I don't know what to expect, and I'm fretting over my new plant - I was really looking forward to seeing it (and smelling it) in bloom!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vbain

I don't know if they are taking longer than normal to bloom, but if the Miracle grow soil is rich in nitrogen, it will have lush growth but not blooms.

Bookmark   August 15, 2005 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Trillium project
Hello all - Here is a picture of some of the trillium...
jebfarm
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™