winterberry

lesleynd(z3/4 ND)February 19, 2005

Would I be able to grow Winterberry Winter Red here? Different sources show different zones. z4 and 3. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

In a solid zone 4 that gets to -34 F some winters (sorry I don't have the conversion to Celcius offhand) in north-central Maine at the U at Orano in the Littlefield garden, they found no damage, not even tip die-back on various winterberries (Ilex verticillata.) There is a PDF file available giving their reults of several years of hardiness trials that you might find helpful to download, and I know that the arboretum at the U of Minnesota also does hardiness trials, though I haven't found any downloadable info from them. I can't remember if the Littlefield Garden trials had Winter Red per se, and I know that in borderline plants, having northern rather than southern ancestry may help with hardiness. Winter Red has done fine for me, but my lowest temperatures are -22.

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 4:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I checked and they do grow 'Winte Red" winterberry in northern ME, so it's probably worth trying, especially if you have a sheltered area.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 7:12AM
More Discussions
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
yellow magnolia tree
Is it to late to move a small magnolia tree that is...
diane_v_44
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™