What's the real scoop on apple trees from St. Lawrence Nurseries?

NorthernFruitGrowerFebruary 11, 2011

I am living in zone 3 of northern Minnesota and am thinking about starting an orchard for cider apples but many cider apples aren't adapted to a climate as cold as the one I'm in. St. Lawrence Nurseries claims to produce trees on Antonovka rootstock that can take cold winters. I looked at the varieties that they say can grow in zone 3 with the standard size rootstock and they are cultivars that everybody else says can only go as far north as zone 4 or 5. Has anyone else out there ordered apple trees from them before and are they actually as cold hardy as they claim to be? Also how long did it take before your trees began to fruit on the Antonovka rootstock? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

I've never ordered from them but I just checked Garden Watchdog for their rating and they have 35 positive and 2 negatives. You can also read comments there. Maybe someone else here has ordered from them and can tell you more.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 8:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northwoodswis4

Since I live on the northern edge of zone 4, I can't attest to hardiness in colder zones, but everything I have ordered from St. Lawrence has survived over the years. The items weren't as big as some of the trees (or in several cases, ex-trees) I have ordered elsewhere, but they are all healthy. Last year was the first time I ordered an apple tree from them, so it isn't of bearing size yet. The pears take several years. Hoping for a harvest of cherries, grapes, and plums this year. Have had some blueberries and lingonberries already. Northwoodswis
North

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20
~HQ!>~Watch Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
Mike & Molly Season 5 Episode 16
~HQ!>~Watch Mike & Molly Season 5 Episode 16...
Ricky Dawnson
~HQ!>~W-atch Fast & Furious 7 O-nline~![1080HD]!~
~HQ!>~Watch Fast & Furious 7 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting Merengue Table - 6042732
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Ashley Blackwash Electric Fireplace By Real Flame
Overstock.com
Lenox Tuscany Classics 4-piece Crystal Chardonnay Set
Overstock.com
Amherst Roman Bronze Four-Light Wall Light
$529.90 | Bellacor
Duo Jute Amber Grasscloth Wallpaper R1970
Walls Republic
Large Flower Market Canister
$82.00 | Horchow
150W 120V T4.5 E11 Halogen Frosted Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$8.99 | Lumens
New Fine Wool Hand Knotted Super Kazak 2'x6' Desire Red Geometric Area Rug H5932
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™