When to Plant Spring Bulbs & Roots

evonnestoryteller(5-6)March 23, 2008

I purchased a variety of spring bulbs. When can I start planting them?

Bulbs I have:

Crocosmia

Oxalis

Ranunculus

Rain Lilies

Roots:

Astible

McKana Giants

Also with the columbine, I have problems with leaf miners. Is there any way to knock them out early in the season? Every columbine seems to get them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

I'd pot up the astilbe and let it grow indoors until the ground is a little warmer. Sorry, I don't know what McKana Giants are and have not grown any of the others except crocosmia - not sure exactly when I planted that one. Ranunculus are not really hardy, I'd pot them up too to get as long a growing season as possible, and move them into the ground (if that's what you plan to do) when the soil's warm.

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 8:59PM
sedum37(Z5 MA)

Rain Lilies are Zone 8-10 so they can't take any frost or freezing temperatures. I grew them last year in a pot. I started mine in April inside.

It is still very cold outside nights (in my area at least) also the ground is still frozen and unworkable.

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 11:22AM
evonnestoryteller(5-6)

McKanna Giants are a type of Colombine.

Thanks for the tips! I will wait awhile before I plant. I have a little plastic greenhouse that I get things going in early, so perhaps in May I can start them in there.

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 10:28AM
asarum(z6 Boston)

Oxalis may or may not return in my Zone 6 yard. It is easy to quickly dig up, allow to dry off and simply store as is for the winter. Easy to plant out directly in the ground again in warmer weather. Your stock will increase year by year.

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 11:56AM
flwrs4ever

last year I planted all of my summer bulbs on Mothers day weekend...per the recommendation of the man at the nursery. I agree that I would do the astilbe in a pot, and wait till the ground warms to plant anything outside. The columbine will be ok planted in April..

I have had a hard time with Ranunculus in this area..I was told it might be better to grow inside in a pot.
Good luck with them, sounds like a nice selection !

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 2:01AM
More Discussions
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Spray-N-Grow Product any good?
Anyone use or success/failures with the Spry-N-Grow...
NorthHadley
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™