Salvia cuttings

wardw(z6 NJ)September 27, 2005

The hummingbird garden at Rancocas Nature Center near Mt. Holly has maxed out. With frost rapidly approaching it is time to take cuttings. Anyone who wants to stop by is welcome to take cuttings now, but please don't mutilate the plants since the garden is peaking right now. Please email me to let me know if you are going, so I can let the center know.

The list of plants from which you can take cuttings:

Salvia Uliginosa, Salvia greggii Navaho Red, Salvia X Marachino, Salvia Microphylla San Carlos Festival, Salvia Microphylla Wild Watermelon, Salvia Guarantica Black & Blue, and Salvia X Indigo Spires.

All are effective hummingbird plants. Any cuttings taken at this time of year would have to be overwintered inside and not planted out until May. While some but not all of these plants are marinally hardy in southern Jersey, they would have enough time to grow a proper root system.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njtea(NJ Z6)

Thanks, Wardw, for posting this. I'd like to urge anyone in the vicinity of the Rancocas Nature Center to take advantage of this. The salvias are fantastic hummer plants. Mine are even now putting forth a lot of new blooms - and I still have hummers taking advantage of them.

I took cuttings of my greggiis last week and they are have rooted already. I grow mine in large pots that I bring into the cellar way for a couple of years until they are just too big to handle and then I take cutting and start all over again.

Bookmark   September 27, 2005 at 5:33PM
Annie_nj(z6b)

Thanks for the info. I'll be up that way on Saturday for the swap, so I'll try to stop in the morning. Do I need to talk to someone in more detail, or just take my snips? I promise to take only a couple clippings, and such that they won't be missed.

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 7:29AM
wardw(z6 NJ)

You could ask for Mary and tell her that Ward said it was OK. Even if she's not there, feel free to take cuttings. Anyone who wants Salvia Coccinea "Lady in Red" seed should also help themselves. Next year I plan to introduce a few more salvias and other hummingbird plants into the gardens there. So if any of you have hummer plants that you would like to see introduced to the public, please let me know. These plants could then be parcelled out as cuttings at the end of the season.

Have fun at Steve's swap. I have to lead a field trip that morning so I don't expect to make it. His garden is one of the most interesting gardens I've ever known

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 10:06AM
Loretta NJ Z6

Hi wardw, thanks for the info. I haven't forgotten about the seeds from S. splendens Paul. It didn't make any seed on the first flowers and then didn't flower again til much later. Now it looks like it is starting to make a few seeds.

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 5:39PM
wardw(z6 NJ)

Thanks Loretta.

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Wanted: Gardenia Cuttings
Would like to take some gardenia cuttings.
redsun9
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey
There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees...
elman23
Leland Cypress Hedge in Northern NJ?
Hi All - Any suggestions for planting a barrier hedge...
soulbird17
WANTED: Wanted: Garlic to Plant
I'm in central NJ, somerset county. I'd like to get...
achang89
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™