easiest to grow from seed

lauren75(NJ)September 15, 2005

Can you make suggestions as to which flowers are easiest to grow from seed? I am not a great gardener so I wanted something a bit foolproof.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Zinnias, sunflowers, 4 o'clocks, to name just a few.

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 4:59PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Hollyhocks, four-o-clocks, digitalis or foxglove, balloon flower are just a few more I usually start and find easy.

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 7:07PM
Loretta NJ Z6

Are you using a light setup or sowing outside? Dahlias are real easy but need an earlier start.
Touch-me-nots, forget-me-nots, shasta daisy, salvias, amaranthus, calandula, marigolds, columbine to name a few.
Anyway, what does well one year, might not the next. You never know with seed growing. Expect some failure, possibly a lot. As you go along, you learn to troubleshoot a bit as you figure out why your plants perish.
You might have a ton of sunflowers one year and have all the rodents eat them the next. Or something germinate heavily one year and nothing the next. Or have them all rot in a cold wet June. Or have something germinate wonderfully, grow your little plants, put them in the ground and find out it is a bad year for cutworm or slugs or beetles or something you will never figure out for sure. You may ask yourself why do I bother? By then though, you already bought the seeds so you just go ahead and do it again.
It also helps to search google. Try using germination with your plant name. Some plants are easy but have certain requirements like freshness, warm and cold stratification, scarification, etc.
Anyway the results can be rewarding.

I call this one Angelina because the day I noticed its first bloom was the day my neice was born. Perhaps a real dahlia grower would have plowed this one under because the orchid form is not perfect and it could be 7' tall. But since I grew it, I get to keep it and I haven't found one like it for sale locally.

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 5:08AM
miss_rumphius_rules(z6 NJ)

Nicotiana, hollyhocks, digitalis, cosmos and zinnias are the easiest ones I've ever done.

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 4:43PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

It sounds like using winter sowing can improve your odds with some seeds. I plan on trying it this year for the first time, but I've already benefited from it by getting some great plants grown this way from plant swaps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing forum

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 10:35AM
sugar_magnolia(z6 Hamilton, NJ)

Morning glories -- but they can be quite prolific so take heed. Mesculine, peas, string beans were successfully grown from seed in my veg garden this year.

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 12:35PM
mulchwoman(metuchen,nj)

Hi
For summer sowing, I've always had luck with nasturtiums--they like rather poor soil on the dry side and lots of sun. If the soil is too rich you will get more foliage than flowers, but other than that they are easy and colorful.
Pat

Bookmark   September 24, 2005 at 11:07AM
Loretta NJ Z6

I direct sowed hyacinth bean this year. Also started ornamental peppers indoors with the tomatoes. They really did nicely. Hibiscus moscheutos are easy too - the direct seed method in the fall.

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 8:03AM
karen64(6b)

verbena bonariensis. It reseeds itself easily.

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
This weekends cold spell and tree question
Well, this weekend officially ended my dahlias growing...
eterprincess
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
Leland Cypress Hedge in Northern NJ?
Hi All - Any suggestions for planting a barrier hedge...
soulbird17
Garlic
Anyone ever try growing garlic? Tried searching the...
ourbackyard
Finally Got Garlic Planted Today
What a beautiful day today! A bit late, but should...
agardenstateof_mind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™