Isn't October a bit late for planting?

ladychroe(z6 NJ)September 5, 2005

Hi,

I thought I'd give Gurney's a chance (OK, OK- I was enticed by that $25 coupon!) and placed an order for cushion mums, asiatic lily bulbs, allium bulbs and lavender. My order is scheduled to ship 10/03 - 10/23. Isn't this a bit late to plant (except for the spring bulbs)? How long does it take a transplant to settle in for the winter?

Also, when is the first frost expected in New Jersey?

Thanks,

Christine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Down here at the shore, I can normally expect to see the first hard frost in November. Sometimes it's earlier; other times it's been as late as Thanksgiving.

As long as the ground is workable, you can plant. Just don't forget to water (and not just at the point of planting for your perrenials). All fall plantings need 1x watering if not more (if it's very dry).

I recall planting a 1/2 dozen landscaped sized hollies (that my sister said were harboring 'bees' and ruined her outdoor gatherings. I told her it wasn't the case, but...). Anyway, I planted those hollies in my place on January 1 one day about 3-4 years ago. I chopped thru an 1" of frost and then dug the holes with no difficulty. The next day???? Frigid temps and winter kicked in with a vengance.

The hollies??? Doing nicely.

Protect your investment. Plant, water, and see it through till the ground freezes.

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 10:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

Since lavender can be hard to overwinter, I would guess fall isn't ideal for it. Perhaps with some mulching or protection, you will do OK.
Every fall I get taken with sales and deals. Some plants make it through but I lose enough of them to perhaps not make it worth it. But I fall for it everytime. This year, I picked up some hosta - Pauls Glory and Gaucamole -I think the risk is on my side here and that blue flowering plant that starts with a p. Strawberry Blossom always sells their small stuff for 99 at the end of season. I've gotten some good stuff this way but I would say one out of five sticks around for the next season.

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey
There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees...
elman23
My neighbor is walking his dog to poop in my yard
I have a neighbor who seems to be "marking territory"...
hackwriter
Where to buy indoor plants in NJ? and pots.
My first time with houseplants. So far I've bought...
ellenr22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™