Invasive grasslike weed in lawn

njgreenguySeptember 12, 2005

Can someone help me identify a light green grasslike weed that has appeared in my lawn for the last few years. It seems to appear in mid August each year and is easy to spot, since it it grows very upright and much faster than the surrounding turf grasses. The only control that seems to work is pulling each and every plant as it appears. They come out rather easily but reappear each year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scross4(z6 NJ)

Sounds like Nut Sedge to me. A lovely plant which I have to thank my neighbors for....and my township's free compost. Here is a link that describes it

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4010.html

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 8:11PM
mjlindgren54_gmail_com

This weed which looks just like grass is fine and delicate. It is one of the first grasses to come up in the spring. As soon as temps rise the grass goes yellow. It is easily taken out in clumps as if one would be peeling away a carpet. It is very invasive. If I were to take it out right now, I would have many bare patches in my very small area of lawn. What type of weed is this and how can I get rid of it.
I live in Washington DC

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 8:50AM
FrankJay

Take a look at Japanese stilt grass and see if it matches. If it does, very little kills it except glysophate(Round Up). You have to pull it up by hand.If it doesn't match, go to Rutger's Website and I believe there is a weed photo gallery there...this response is probably too late.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
Where to buy indoor plants in NJ? and pots.
My first time with houseplants. So far I've bought...
ellenr22
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™