Deer and Winterberry

alanc23(5/MA)March 21, 2011

Hi,

I am thinking of trying the berried shrub Winterberry (Ilex...) near my driveway so I can appreciate it during the winter. However, what will deer do with it? Will they strip the berries completely or just eat some?

Thanks,

AC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

I don't have any experience with Winterberry shrubs but I do have deer issues. I can tell you that if they like this shrub, they will not just be picking the berries off. They will mow them down to the ground. Birds will pick off the berries. Deer will eat the entire thing.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 2:58PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Around here, yews get eaten, but the winterberry shrubs don't. We have lots of deer, but not really bad feeding pressure since there are also lots of other plants. As tree oracle mentioned, the birds like the berries. Depending on what other food sources are available, how deep the snow is and which cultivar you plant, the berries disappear around as early as December or as late as maybe February.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 10:20PM
franeli(z4 NH)

Winterberrys in my yard are stripped of red berries every fall by large flocks of migrating birds...usually robins.
The deer here aren't interested in these shrubs.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Climbing hydrangea question
Green gardener here. This is kind of a silly question...
c_ coy 7aMA
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™