Help ID vine

Gabrielle_LASeptember 4, 2006

I found a red flowering vine growing in our field in S. LA. It is blooming now in early Sept and is full of red trumpet type flowers about 1 - 11/2 inches long and 1/8 inch in diameter. It was full of butterflies. The leaves look similar to a maple leaf. We are trying to naturalize an area that has been in cane production for years.

Please help me identify this.Thanks! Gabrielle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momamamo

I don't know, but google images for trumpet vine, campsis, honeysuckle, bignonia.

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 8:16AM
Gabrielle_LA

Thanks so much for responding. I checked out the photos, but it does not seem to be any of those. I will try to add a photo of what I brought home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown vine

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 12:13PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

This is the Small Red Morning Glory, or Redstar - Ipomoea coccinea. (There is also another red-flowered morning glory that is very similar, and I forget the scientific name. The two species have slightly different leaves. I think I. coccinea is the expected speices in LA). This vine can be common in agricultural fields, especially soybean fields, and is native to South America. It is a real favorite of hummingbirds, and I grow it for that reason. It is easy to grow from seed in a sunny spot, and does best with something to climb that it can twine around, such as a chain link fence, shrub, or strings. It is an annual that will die in the fall. Before that happens it should set lots of seeds, which can be scattered on the ground where you want new plants next year.

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 8:35AM
Gabrielle_LA

Thanks so much Ladyslppr! I saw the purple morning glory around the edges of the property this morning. This is the only plant like this that I saw. It is great to have a name for it now.
Thank You! Gabrielle

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™