green balls, what kind of tree?

rosie22October 1, 2011

Hi, new here...found this site, when looking for info on a tree we have...some things on the internet that are close, but not the match...we're not far from caldwell, we have a tree that has already lost most of its leaves...green balls still remain on the tree, many fall off each day...they're in clusters...i really don't see that as black walnuts, hedge balls or the orange one some people suggest...the leaves didn't really turn colors...the balls are about the size of golf balls, kind of the color of the inside of kiwis...there seems to be a dark brown nut insider, kind of rugged, that quickly turns black when sitting in the yard for a few days...they disintegrate and are very ugly...if they weren't picked up, we'd have hundreds on the back lawn...the inside of the ''ball'' puts me in mind of an avocado, before it disintegrates...

any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Sounds like a chestnut. I'm not far from Caldwell too, and we've got one in our yard. There is apparently a fungus to which the trees are prone, which causes the early leaf loss.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Birds Ruining My Mountain Laurels
Yesterday, I had my arborist come by to review some...
Laurie
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Leland Cypress Hedge in Northern NJ?
Hi All - Any suggestions for planting a barrier hedge...
soulbird17
cutting back in the spring ..
a question for the green thumbs here , when is a good...
diesl44
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™