New Jersey Zone 7?

Florafeline(z6NJ)October 3, 2005

Hi, I wasn't aware that NJ had zone 7; where approximately does it start? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellenh

It's in the south part of the state along the coast and along the Delaware river. I know someone who lives in Burlington and he's zone 7.

Ellen

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 4:43PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Cuts through the southwestern part of the state then hugging the Atlantic coast to the east until you get to Sandy Hook Bay. I'm on the border of 7a/6b in Monmouth County.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Homes and Gardens Hardiness Zone Maps

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 3:58PM
agardenstateof_mind

Florafeline, I'm a transplant from New Jersey's zone 6b to 7a ... and what a difference! We've occasionally had annuals like snapdragons survive milder winters, with green shoots followed by blooms from the prior year's brown growth. We're in southern Monmouth County.

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 3:15PM
wardw(z6 NJ)

It also depends on your local conditions within a zone. If you're in a depression you might be a zone colder and if you are upslope you might be warmer.

For shorter lived things like perennials and such, and things that don't grow tall and can be mulched heavily, I've always been willing to risk more tender plants. I'm a bit more careful with large shrubs and trees, although there are many people who successfully grow trees that are not supposed to be hardy here. I just worry that I'll grow a wonderful plant that will die in that once in a decade below zero cold spell.

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 3:38PM
agardenstateof_mind

You're right Ward, it is heartbraking to lose a mature tree or shrub. I've a friend in Florida who has defended tender shrubs from occasional frosts with Christmas lights and light blankets ... looks strange, but it works.

You're right about microclimates too. We're surrounded by a small crescent-shaped bay, which keeps temperatures here just a tad warmer in winter and, with the added help of lots of mature trees, noticeably cooler in summer. More than once I've run out to the market less than 2 miles away wearing the sweatshirt & long pants I needed in my yard, only to get strange looks from folks walking around in shorts and sleeveless shirts! Those zone maps are a great starting point, but it's important to know one's own area. It's often worthwhile to test the limits a little. Where did I see that quote, "If you don't have any dead plants, you're not trying hard enough"?

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 2:03AM
More Discussions
Window boxes
I live in NJ and every spring we plant flowers in a...
hoganjr
Straw Bales for sale in NJ?
Reading "Straw Bale Gardens" and wondering...
jlr518
Monmouth County Master Gardeners Spring Garden Day is May 15 / 16 at
Sale of Annuals, Perennials; Hanging baskets; container...
blrhudugi
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
Excellent Presentation Today - Functional Landscapes
This afternoon I drove up to Frelinghuysen Arboretum...
agardenstateof_mind
Sponsored Products
Calvin Klein Rugs Calvin Klein Lunar LUN1 2'3" x 7'5" Pewter Rug
$299.00 | PlushRugs
Kichler Elba 7" High LED Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Patchwork Blue/Beige 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Razor 20 in. Tempest Bike - 22081
$118.99 | Hayneedle
American Drew Tribecca Bookcase Nightstand in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
Alliyah Handmade Black New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Hinkley Windsor River Rock Four-Light Incandescent Outdoor Pendant Light
$469.00 | LuxeDecor
Metro Bath Bar by Tech Lighting
$296.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™