Hosta Pruning?

blakeas(6 OH)August 10, 2008

The flowering stem on all my hostas is still there. The flowers are done but I was wondering do I clip it? or do I leave it there to fall off on their own? I am in atlanta, ga

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostasformez4(4/5)

Cut them all down if you want a neater look, otherwise leave them. It all depends on how many you have to do!
If you aren't interested in the seeds that's the thing to do.

Connie

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 10:29AM
botanybabe

If it has seed pods, and you want to harvest seeds to grow seedlings, leave one scape with pods on it and trim the others off. If you don't want seeds, cut them off. They are not very pretty, and cutting them should send a chemical message to the plant to keep growing. (Well some hostas don't get the message, but cut them anyway for a neater landscape.)

Those are my two cents worth.

Lainey

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 10:30AM
inlimbo(z5/6 CT)

Off with their heads!

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 2:27PM
esther_opal

"They are not very pretty, and cutting them should send a chemical message to the plant to keep growing. (Well some hostas don't get the message, but cut them anyway for a neater landscape.)"
hey_j

I don't have the research to say this but I believe once the signal to bloom is sent cutting bloom stalks doesn't change anything. The plant will continue the normal cyclical process.

Part of the process is which side of the solstice we are on and that varies by plant so saying a plant blooms pre-summer solstice or post-summer solstice doesn't matter.

For example; forcing plants out dormancy should only be done after the winter-solstice.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
need help for my yard
I need ideas for this boring yard. Southeast PA, West...
carol0512
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
Early emerging hostas?
What hostas which emerge early each spring before the...
donrawson
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
First Victim
Had put a few precautionary pellets about a while ago...
frugaljon z8 UK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™