Who's holding off buying plants this fall?

Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)October 5, 2005

While I would typically buy a few "treats" at Rare Finds Nursery, this year will be different. Hank. I'll see you in the spring God willing.

I'm having trouble just keeping up with watering those Rhodies etc that have been in place for 3-4 years now.

I will however expand the existing beds by rototilling 2-3 sweeps (ahh, less grass to cut, and that's a good thing). Come spring, I can alway divide some of the perrenials, etc.

and begin planting again.

It has to be a real tough time for nurseries in NJ this late summer/fall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Are you counting ordering now for spring '06 delivery? :-)

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 12:34PM
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Spring should be fine. We'll have the benefit of what should be adequate rain and snowfall over the course of the next 4 months. It was the current time frame that I was referencing with regard to planting shrubs or trees.

I've totally turned away from even looking (regardless of the presence of bargains or NOT) at any nursery. Bottom line is that it's been a very time consuming & tiring job watering just to keep things alive here.

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 9:18PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

You're right Birdsong72, it's been a real difficult time this fall for the nursery business - but just not this fall - the entire season has been slow.

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 9:42AM
mulchwoman(metuchen,nj)

I agree. The drought has given me enough grief. I got 8 hyacinth bulbs yesterday that I had ordered months ago and it was such work to try and dig in the cement like soil that I could only find the energy to plant 4 of them. (I happen to have a really lousy cold, so that didn't help). I ended up giving the other 4 to my husband's aunt. I have had a real struggle to keep my two hydrangeas alive.
Let's hope for a "normal" year next year.
Pat

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 11:42AM
Loretta NJ Z6

Ok, I picked up a couple of things but I'm in control! I couldn't pass up plumbagos for 99 cents each! A couple of hostas...that's it but I better order a couple of bulbs.

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 2:19AM
More Discussions
Any Other Local Garden Forum More Active?
This forum is really quiet. So I just wonder if there...
redsun9
Finally Got Garlic Planted Today
What a beautiful day today! A bit late, but should...
agardenstateof_mind
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
WANTED: Wanted: Garlic to Plant
I'm in central NJ, somerset county. I'd like to get...
achang89
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™