Pine trees diseased?

Deb_W_NJ(z6 NJ)October 9, 2006

I have noticed many dead and dying pine trees in Somerset & Hunterdon Counties. Is there some kind of disease or infestation? I just noticed some on my street and was wondering if there is something I should do to protect my trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njtea(NJ Z6)

White pines seem to have some disease, but I don't know what it is.

The my tree guy said he had a customer with over 25 white pines on her property and over half of them have died off just in the last year or so. She was contacting Rutgers but he's not told me if she found out what is happening.

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 1:03PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Deb, it just occurred to me that perhaps what you are seeing is the natural browning and dropping of needles that white pines do at this time of the year. If that's it, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 2:18PM
Deb_W_NJ(z6 NJ)

I wish it were just a recent observation. I have been noticing it increasingly all summer as well.

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 2:23PM
sarat

My husband and I live in Gloucester County on the edge of the NJ Pinelands, and we've noticed the same thing. Our lot is predominately pitch and Virginia pines, changing gradually to oak because of lack of fire. However, over the past 5-6 years we've noticed more and more healthy pine trees just falling over and dying. Old, young, doesn't seem to matter. As far as we know, the drainage hasn't changed, but we haven't checked for insects or anything. It's very distressing, and I'd love to know what it could be and what to do about it.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Excellent Presentation Today - Functional Landscapes
This afternoon I drove up to Frelinghuysen Arboretum...
agardenstateof_mind
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™