Too late to plant ?

katsmah(Z 6B NJ)October 28, 2005

I'm in Bergen County. A month and a half ago I had to pull up all of my foundation shrubs in front of my house so the workers could take out my old porch and put in a new one with new footers. The shrubs were pretty hastily dug out and temporarily replanted in the back yard as the job was supposed to be done in a couple of weeks. Due to every delay possible, the job will now probably be completed the week of 11/7.

Is it too late to replant my foundation shrubs at that point? I have some azalias, hydrangeas and crape mytle.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

Hey, Katsma. I'm in Bergen Co. too! I've seen landscapers plant shrubs all crazy times of the year - but these were potted or B&B shrubs with secure rootballs. I'm not sure if your scenario is the same. If you dug them again and replanted with winter just around the corner, you run the risk of them not settling in before the cold weather hits. On the other hand, if we have a mild December, you're in luck. I'd say it's a toss-up.
I'm surprised to hear you can grow Crepe Myrtle around here - I thought they were only hardy to Zone 7. What's your secret?

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 6:57PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

You can plant anytime. You need to mulch well and remember to water, even in the middle of winter. I've had trees planted the first week in January and they've done fine.

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 7:14AM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

The ground hasn't been freezing hard in south Somerset County until the end of December. Mulch them well to delay freezing. Burlap wrap might help too.

I've got a couple small magnolias I should have moved but I believe I'll wait for spring.

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 8:13PM
Loretta NJ Z6

The plants have already been recently moved. The roots will still be loose. Probably fate has already decided what will or won't make the winter. You're not going to know for sure until next growing season. I would do it.

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 10:27PM
katsmah(Z 6B NJ)

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try replanting the hydrangia and the azalias and will mulch them well. Hopefully they can reistablish before winter sets in and I won't have any loss.

jerseygirl, I bought the Crape Mytles at Fairfield garden center 4 yrs ago. One died after 2 years and I had to replace it, but the other has done well. Unfortunately that one didn't appear to survive the move well, so I don't have high hopes for next year. They take forever to get going in the spring and don't bloom until the end of August but they are really pretty when they do.

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Wanted: Gardenia Cuttings
Would like to take some gardenia cuttings.
redsun9
Garlic
Anyone ever try growing garlic? Tried searching the...
ourbackyard
Any Other Local Garden Forum More Active?
This forum is really quiet. So I just wonder if there...
redsun9
Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey
There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees...
elman23
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™