Storing Impatien Seeds

tikisharkOctober 12, 2006

Hello...I am new this year to seed harvesting and have had a blast gathering seeds all summer. The impatiens have been producing seeds like crazy the past month. Any suggestions on whether to store them in the refrigerator, or just in a dry location? I know they will take about 30 days or so to germinate in the spring...additional suggestions on when to sow in seed starter trays would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BetsyBr(NJ)

I have never stored them I always just cut the plants back, left them and their dirt outside and in the spring they came back. This worked for 7 years in my flower boxes.
If they were my seeds I'd freeze them till spring but if that is incorrect I am sure someone will correct me.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 9:57AM
Loretta NJ Z6

Well, I can't say impatiens ever overwintered for me. Not even indoors though a relative does cuttings successfully.

Anyway, I like to store my seeds in either a small coin envelope or a small hobby ziploc. I don't think you need to keep impatiens seeds in the fridge. I would keep them at an even living temp, dry, out of the sun.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 2:30PM
Loretta NJ Z6

Unless you mean jewelweed or the balsam types - those reseed.

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
Straw Bales for sale in NJ?
Reading "Straw Bale Gardens" and wondering...
jlr518
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
Was Last Winter Colder Than This Year?
Even with all the snow and cold weather, my bamboo...
redsun9
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™