Landscape fabric question

tulipsmiles(6 South of Boston)March 19, 2012

Do you know if that black "landscape fabric" has any toxicity to it? I'm thinking of using to keep weeds down in my vegitable / edible garden and wouldn't want to use it if it had some kind of chemical or something that might harm food.

Any info is appreciated...

Tulipsmiles

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I don't think it has chemicals that can harm your food, but landscape fabric is the devil's spawn. It simply doesn't work, and then try to tear it out after the weeds have rooted in the thing. It's a nasty job. Just use thick shredded leaves, or wood chips or grass clippings (no herbicides please) or any organic material you can get your hands on. Try to get it free and local. Often times tree companies will drop a load of wood chips for free, especially if they are working in your area. Don't believe the nonsense about wood chips robbing nitrogen. As long as you use them as mulch that simply doesn't happen. It's been researched.

Steve

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 5:44PM
squirejohn zone4 VT

I've used regular black plastic from the hardware store to keep weeds down in veg. garden - works fine.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 6:34AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I put down corrugated cardboard (without printing on it) with mulch on it in the paths and just regular compost, often half-finished, around the plants. (Occasionally printer's ink has heavy metals which you don't want in a veggie garden.)

Plastic would be better than landscape fabric, but you'd have to be sure that the plants got water. Landscape fabric needs mulch over it since it breaks down in sunlight, so why not just use the mulch as it doesn't need to be removed at season's end. I agree with Steve that I wouldn't use landscape fabric in a garden, though it has uses under a thickly mulched path or to separate different textures of drainage material, IMO.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 7:26AM
girlcat36(6 ish)

Landscape fabric is from the devil as far as I'm concerned(as Steve said). I have finally pulled the last of it from my yard, and what a nasty, dirty job that was. The mulch on top of the fabric made a very nice compost for the weeds to grow in, but the roots of the plants underneath the cloth don't get the benefits of that nice compost.
I swear by newspaper.

Teresa

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 7:41PM
gardenweed_z6a

Corrugated cardboard topped with bark mulch. The cardboard smothers weeds & prevents them from getting light plus it attracts worms who's p**p enriches the soil. My neighbors have the fabric under the decorative stones around their swimming pool. Weeds grow right up through it and it's a miserable job to pull them. Their pool area looks ratty & unkempt most of the summer.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 8:03PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I'm with Steve and Teresa on this one! And with gardenweed and nhbabs too!

Newspaper, or cardboard, topped with leaves, wood chips, grass clippings - mostly free, environmentally friendly, enriches the soil... landscape fabric and - even worse - plastic is none of the above.

Dee

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™