... and I was blaming deer

pandora(Z5 OH)August 11, 2014

Yesterday while grilling my DH noticed a hosta leaf and stem moving across the top of our stone wall.
A chipmunk was dragging the leaf. Chippie sat on the wall, bit off the leaf and let it fall. Took the stem in both hands and munched it all the way like a celery stock!
Then went back for a second stem.

Someone said leave a bowl of water for chippies and they'll leave flowers alone. I was afraid to leave water sitting around to invite bad critters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

The leaving water works in my experience. Chipmunks are looking for moisture - lacking another source, a juicy plant fills the bill. Been doing that for years after seeing one climb up a lily stalk and eat a bud. Just put a shallow clear plastic baked goods tray or somesuch out of the way along their run. They'll find it wherever you leave it and will leave your plants alone. It does not draw other unwanted creatures.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:55AM
bernd ny zone5

Chipmunks are resourceful. They must have found the rotted roots of past trees on my property and live there. Lst year there, now here. On my lawn there is a hole, which I can try filling up with gravel, soil, sticks and several minutes of water out of a hose - the hole is still there, can not get plugged - vast cavities underground. Have I finally plugged it temporarily, they dig out another one next to it.
Bernd

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:48PM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

Pandora,
Thanks for the tip about the water. I just put out a saucer on the front porch for Charlie, one of our many chipmunks. We have bird baths but never thought that they might be too high for the chipmunks.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 2:08PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

I wouldn't mind seeing Chipmunks again,but I'm afraid the marauding cat in the neighborhood has eliminated them! They use to be around here a lot,and I could hear them 'chipping' all day. Now if the cat would only go after squirrels? Phil

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™