mountain laurel "bridesmaid"

jawollmarMarch 22, 2014

I'd like to put a short(ish) mountain laurel against my foundation, where it would get maybe 2-3 hours of morning sun, and have read the the "bridesmaid" variation might be a good one. Does anyone have this and care to comment on how it grows? Easy? Fussy? Is it really no taller than 5 feet?

Also, I cannot for the life of me find where to buy one. I'm in NW Connecticut. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

Jeelan, I'm not familiar with 'Bridesmaid' but if you want to see some terrific Mt. Laruels ... propagated and grown onsite ... and learn all you need to know about this shrub, you should visit Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden, CT. It's worth the trip from anywhere. You can also check out their online catalogue.

The owner, Dick Jaynes, is a famous breeder of Kalmia latifolia and has introduced many varieties at the nursery. You will even find some of his newest "creations" at the end of his front yard, which is right next to the selling floor.

We've bought several trees, shrubs and evergreens from this nursery. Broken Arrow grows and propagates much of what they sell. Years ago I worked at another nursery, and I can tell you honestly that the product here is some of the best I've seen.

In honor of my mom, who loved Mt. Laurels above all other shrubs, we bought his Kalmia latifolia 'Minuet'. Here's a photo of it from 2012:

Molie

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 8:44PM
ctlady_gw(z6 CT)

Just want to second the recommendation to visit Broken Arrow -- THE source for all things mountain laurel (and lots of other plants, too -- the largest hardy magnolia collection on the East Coast, I think I read?) It's worth the trip. I think they open the first week of April usually. I don't know 'Bridesmaid' either but found this on the UConn hort website (nothing about height, unfortunately):
"'Bridesmaid' - Dark pink buds open to reveal a bicolor bloom on this plant. The outer edges of the flower are pink, while the center is light pink to white. With age, the corolla edge rolls back, making each flower look like a pink porcelain plate. The foliage is dark green and leaf spot resistant. It blooms excessively in sun, so it is best situated in part shade to strike a better balance between shoot growth and flower production."

I noticed that Broken Arrow doesn't have it listed as one of their offerings in their online catalog, but I'd give them a call anyway and ask about it. If they don't have it, they can probably tell you where to get it (or get it for you).

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 12:57PM
jawollmar

Thanks for the Broken Arrow referral--I emailed them, and while they did, in fact, develop Bridesmaid, they don't have it this year and don't know of anyone else who would. It looks like they might be worth a visit, though. The search for a short, shade loving (yet flowering) shrub continues...

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 5:47PM
ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))

OK, thread jumping a little LOL... Some one asked in another thread about what is on your Spring buying list...
AND

I think I "need" Mt.Laurles now!

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
Tropical Houseplants in CT
Besides Logee's, are there any other nurseries that...
javaandjazz
Annie_NH Annual Plant Swap June 7, 2015
Hello, this is Annie's daughter Becky. We will be having...
annie_nh
Why Animals Do Not Touch the Compost Pile In My Backyard?
I have been doing compost in my backyard for two years....
easycity
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #5
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Show us your gardens - a photo thread - April 2015
Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us...
NHBabs
Sponsored Products
Slamp | Pacis Mini Ceiling Light
$705.00 | YLighting
Hunter Green Leaf-Embossed Sheet Set
$19.99 | zulily
Laurel Court Giclee Glow Tiger Bronze Club Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Pre-lit Deluxe Fraser Artificial Tabletop Tree
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
Crystal Laurel Six-Light Lantern in Warm Silver Leaf Finish
Bellacor