Still blooming

njtea(NJ Z6)November 10, 2005

Up here in Hunterdon County, this morning I noticed that a Lobelia cardinalis is in full bloom as are gloriosa daisies, another rudbeckia and that little herb the name of which I can never recall - ferny foliage and white flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Mexican sunflower, asters, pineapple sage, cimicifuga as well as impatiens are still hanging in here at the shore.
I also noticed a black swallowtail catterpillar on the fennel the other day.

The berries on the aronia 'brilliantissima' and all of the various hollies (blue boys, English, verticillata 'Winter Red', and pedunculosa) are what's spectacular here at ParadiseWaits.

It'll all be shut down shortly. A switch will be pushed and we'll get our first hard frost.

Enjoy the season NJT

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 2:44PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Birdsong72, I went raptor watching at Merrill Creek today and the change was definitely in the air up there - everyone dressed for winter!

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 3:47PM
Loretta NJ Z6

Let's see, the salvias and dahlias, snapdragon, hardy fushcia, agastache tutti frutti, roses, hydrangeas, butterfly bush, verbena, daphne, kerria, cornus winterbeauty is turning yellow and blooming and the same time.
Callicarpa and viburnums are also colorful with berries along with the hollies. Rose hips are turning red as well.
Then there are the leaves...

Birdsong72, I see you grow Ilex pedunculosa. How old are your plants and what is your impression?

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 5:47PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

after the frost, I have salvia Black and Blue, Fanny's Aster and Golden Wings (with one bloom) going as if there was no frost at all. Tartarian aster is looking beat up. The dahlia's flowers were fine but the leaves were blackened so I dug them up. I should have put a sheet over them because who knows when the next frost will be?

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 10:54PM
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Hi Loretta. I love pudunculosa (sp). My specemin has been in it's current spot in my garden for nearly 7 years. It has been fruiting very well these last couple of years (as you know, the berries are singles and not clusters). Catbirds, white throates sparrows and even a late black throated blue warbler (om 11/2) love the fruit.

A good bit of growth on a few of the long limb leaders this year. My plant currently is about 10' and is a real "looker"

It's usually the 1st plant I address when we have wet snow as those wispy limbs are no match for heavy snow.

I love the plant. I had a tree surgeon come in a few weeks ago for an estimate on pruning out some huge dead oak limbs, etc. and he called it a 'ficus'. Couldn't help but smile as I explained what it was.

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 9:54AM
Loretta NJ Z6

I had a surprise clematis open up - Nelly Moser I think - one of those pink stripe down the middle types - and a cluster on my coral vine honeysuckle. The dahlias, hardy fuschia and verbena bit the dust. The roses are picking up speed. A coneflower is trying to beat the winter.

Thanks for the feedback birdsong.

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Window boxes
I live in NJ and every spring we plant flowers in a...
hoganjr
Let's show our first blooms of the season
So happy to see these today. Are your gardens waking...
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™