Ideas for plants that will cascade over retaining wall

amna(6 (MA))March 15, 2008

Hello all,

I was just wondering if people (particularly those who live with retaining walls) would be willing/interested in sharing ideas/photos of ways in which they have softened, greened up and made more colorful these rather humungous stone structures? I was going to try to see if I could compel some blackeyed susan vines to creep over and cover as much of the wall as possible. Might be too boring though? Maybe punctuate it with some other trailing vines? Wonder how white phlox would do?

Anyway, it's just another cold, grey day here in boston and I thought it would be a nice distraction.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

Anna, I've tried many things while trying to get my gold alyssum to establish. The most colorful vines have been nasturtium. They're a bit slow to start but once they get going they really soften up the wall, sorry no photos. They even did well in an area that didn't get sun until after 3 pm.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 10:38AM
ellen_s(z5 centralMA)

Old standbys for the top of a retaining wall are Creeping Phlox, Basket of Gold (I think it's now called Aurinia saxitalia) which is pictured here with variegated Wintercreeper. I don't recommend the Wintercreeper however, it is invasive and requires a huge amount of pruning to keep it in its bounds.

You might also consider one of the low creeping junipers (eg Blue Rug) which we use on the long stretches of retaining walls we have on our property. They are an excellent groundcover and require very little maintenance other than an occasional haircut when they reach out to grab unsuspecting passers-by :-)

Other plants that like the excellent drainage of stone walls are Dianthus and Snow in Summer.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:06AM
ellen_s(z5 centralMA)

How much sun does the retaining wall get - which direction does it face? I thought of a few other ideas today (we were out cleaning up the mess left over from snow cover since early December!!)

Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) is a sprawling vine - with some sun it produces red tubular flowers that Hummingbirds love...it's a woody native vine, easy to grow ...although I have not personally tried it over a wall, I think it would do well if it had enough moisture.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 8:20PM
sedum37(Z5 MA)

Many of the creeping sedums will do well over stone. I have also used Basket of Gold. Another one to try is CERASTIUM 'Snow in summer' pretty white flowers, drought tolerant, grey foliage. I have also used Juniper Blue Rug and can attest to its usefulness. Creeping phlox is another one. You can put pockets of soil in between the stones and making planting holes. To do this I used old onion bags, spaghnum moss and soil. There are other methods that also work to hold the soil in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some photos...

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 12:56PM
sedum37(Z5 MA)

Here is a thread on gardenweb with more info..

Here is a link that might be useful: Some more postings...

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 1:02PM
sedum37(Z5 MA)

Should stop and think before hitting the Submit button!

Semperviviums (Hens and Chicks) do well in crevices of stone walls.

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 1:06PM
ellen_s(z5 centralMA)

Another idea for large expanses of retaining wall is to use plants that are naturally floppy (eg. peonies or New England Asters) and plant them at the top of the wall. Don't bother staking or pinching them and let them flop right over the edge of the wall. If the wall is quite high it can look really nice to see the big cascade of flower heads billowing over the edge.

Works for me in an area that is such a jungle that I can't easily reach it to pinch the Asters back...and I have seen unstaked peonies used effectively this way too.

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 6:25PM
mrtulin

Ellen,
Interesting idea. I'd like to try that.

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Ferjulian's, Brigham Nursery, & Gerards's
Ferjulian in Hudson, MA I discovered this nice hidden...
mrtulin
Starting PEAS
A few of my beds have thawed enough that I can work...
persimmons
Landscape Design Council Awards at Boston Flower & Garden Show
I received a press release from Frances Wheeler regarding...
bostongardens
Why Animals Do Not Touch the Compost Pile In My Backyard?
I have been doing compost in my backyard for two years....
easycity
Tropical Houseplants in CT
Besides Logee's, are there any other nurseries that...
javaandjazz
Sponsored Products
Pearson One-Light Oiled Bronze with Antique Gold Outdoor Wall Light
$136.00 | Bellacor
Fluidity Bronze Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Pacific Edge 1-lt Outdoor Wall Sconce
LBC Lighting
Sutton Collection Bronze 11" High Two Light Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Cast Iron Seahorse Wall Hooks - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo