good local nurseries for native shrubs

woodlandpixie(z6 NJ)December 15, 2005

I 'm looking for a good source for native plants and shrubs, specifically NJ tea and Itea Little Henry.

Pixie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I drive both to rare find nursery in Jackson, NJ and fairweather gardens in Salem county to get plants, but they both ship and both maintain catalogs on line. I have found both have very helpful staff. rarefindnursery.com and fairweathergardens.com are correct, I think.

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 11:01PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Leaping Lizards in Basking Ridge has the Itea. However, I'm not certain about the New Jersey tea - I had to buy mine through a catalog.

Bookmark   December 18, 2005 at 7:49AM
Odie99(z7a NJ)

Bogturtle, have you been to Fairwether other than their open house days? Where exactly are the located, as in a street address. I am very intrigued by their website and would like to locate another unusual source for plants in the area.

Kirk

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 10:39AM
Loretta NJ Z6

I've seen that itea around at local nurseries.

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 11:52PM
woodlandpixie(z6 NJ)

NJTea,
What mail order source did you use for the njtea? Many
shrubs I receive from Wayside Gardens I lose in the first 2 yrs.
I think this is because they are born and bred for southern areas.
I lost the njtea that was growing nicely because I moved it in the fall ( I think).
Loretta,
Any specific nursery ? Pixie

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 8:46AM
loris(Z6 NJ)

Don't know where you're located, but the nursery I've linked to below is in Berkeley Heights and has the Itea. I think I have also seen it at quite a few of the larger nurseries near me.

I also had no luck finding New Jersey Tea locally and ended up using mail-order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall's Garden Center

Bookmark   December 26, 2005 at 1:47PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Pixie, did you get my PM that said I though I'd got the New Jersey tea from ForestFarm?

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 8:04AM
woodlandpixie(z6 NJ)

Thanks for the ForestFarm reference NJTea , I didn't receive the PM. Thanks also Bogturtle, loris and loretta. I will try all the new sources. Both Rarefind and Fairweather were nurseries I was curious about. Glad to get a personal recommendation.
Pixie

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 9:38PM
pontesmanny(z6/7 S NJ)

I bought Itea from Home Depot

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 12:00AM
hunt4carl

Here's a second vote for Bogturtle's reccommendations for
both RareFind Nursery and Fairweather Gardens, nurseries I visit no less than once or twice a season, especially RareFind which showcases all their hundreds of rhodies in a five-acre sandy woodland planting each Spring!

Another NJ nursery which carries both Itea 'Little Henry' and Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea - this thread finally forced me to research that common name and discover it's botanical handle - thanks!) is Triple Oaks Nursery in Franklinville. I have also purchased the Itea at my all-time favorite "unknown" family operation in New Jersey: Pope's Gardens in Waterford (for less than $10.00)

A couple other mail-order, native-plant nurseries that I've used successfully: Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill, NC and Shooting Star Nursery in Kentucky (which HAS your NJ Tea)

Odie 99: Fairweather Gardens is NOT a retail nursery in usual sense - you can ONLY visit them on their 9 or 10 Open House Days each season. Their address in Greenwich is 1189 Sheppards Mill Road. I believe their website has a map and directions.

www.rarefindnursery.com
www.fairweathergardens.com
www.tripleoaks.com
www.popesgardens.com
www.nichegardens.com
www.shootingstarnursery.ccom

Carl

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Was Last Winter Colder Than This Year?
Even with all the snow and cold weather, my bamboo...
redsun9
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
Garlic
Anyone ever try growing garlic? Tried searching the...
ourbackyard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™