disease resistant heirloom tomatoes?

birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)December 1, 2007

Well, the catalogs are coming. I loooove the taste of the heirlooms but some of them are disease magnets. Black

Prince for one, sickly, sickly plant.

Pruden's Purple does ok, so does Principe Borghese. Not great.

What has done well for you with no spray, or an organic regime? Are there modern varieties with disease resitance that have those old-fashioned tastes? Complex, rich, creamy, fruity?

Early and high yield is a plus. I guess they'll never grow a deer-resistant tomato...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

I was very happy with Japanese Trifele Black. Tasted like Cherokee Chocolate or Purple and very pretty.

Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 9:36AM
wardda

Lisa, Brandywine has always seemed able to handle disease in my garden - haven't lost one in 20 years. I do practice four year rotation. I also suspect that permiable landscape fabric helps keep disease at bay. The fabric and light covering of the prior years miscanthus grass stalks keeps spores in the soil from splashing on the tomato leaves. Then again it may just be because I have well drained improved sandy soil.

Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 7:40PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

What, are you gloating, Ward? Well drained improved sandy soil, hmph. I drive out to Ocean county every day now. I'll just have to steal the soil, pocketful by pocketful.

Bookmark   December 8, 2007 at 11:41PM
royy(Z7)

I don't know if the Ramapo tomatoes are disease resistant, but they are being brought back by Rutgers. I hear they are great so I ordered several packs of seeds.

Roy

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Garlic
Anyone ever try growing garlic? Tried searching the...
ourbackyard
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
My neighbor is walking his dog to poop in my yard
I have a neighbor who seems to be "marking territory"...
hackwriter
This weekends cold spell and tree question
Well, this weekend officially ended my dahlias growing...
eterprincess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™