Easy veggies/fruits in Las Vegas??

naturalmommys(9)January 19, 2011

I have 2 self watering Earthboxes I would like to fill up with fruits and veggies. I also plan to get 2 more. Last year I got a late start and it was my first year. I ran out bought too much, didn't get the right stuff, bad soil, had no idea what I was doing, etc etc, it was a disaster! Everything eventually died. I don't want to make those mistakes this time around. I hear EB's are great for no gardening experience. Anyway its February and I wonder what seedlings I can start and when? I also would like to know what is really easy to grow. I would like tomatoes and strawberries for sure, would these work now, or too early? Is there some kind of resource list on what to plant here in Vegas at what month?

Thanks so much!

Christina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dustee1

Christina, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you want "easy veggies/fruits in LV" you'll have to buy them :)

But seriously, there are some fantastic resource available here in Las Vegas.

For fruit trees UNCE (University of Nevada Cooperative Extension). Contact Bob Morris & he'll send you the list of trees recomended by UNCE. They have a test orchard out in the north end of town that has been testing for several years.

The Tomato Lady here in town also has a lot of Info.
You'll have to find her on your own as the link I posted for her generated a spam alert.

Have Fun,

Ted

Here is a link that might be useful: UNCE

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 2:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mojoraven(z8 Vegas)

Check out the blog HomespunSprout.com (I think that's the site.) Lindsey has managed to grow things year round here. She also has a free gardening class at a place called Pinkpeas.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Soil amendment options in Reno
Hello, we just moved from the midwest, and when we...
korerko
fresh sod for sale!
Hello! We bought 5 pallets of fresh Kentucky blue grass...
Caryn14
Container gardening in Las Vegas in the winter
Hi All, I want vegetables, peppers and herbs fresh...
tcreed
New to Las Vegas, what will grow here?
Hi all, I just moved to the Las Vegas area from California...
newbiegardener
Suggestions for landscape plants
I have a good sized back yard with a ton of vegetation....
shabbado
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™