New to Reno - what are best books for gardening?

BluCasettaJanuary 5, 2013

Hello! I just moved to Reno in November and we moved to a yard that has pretty much nothing but grass, gravel and not so great soil. So, the upside is that the clear away won't take too long.

I'd love to know if there are any good gardening books for our region, or where I can find out more about what plants and trees work along with those that don't.

I love flowers and herbs (like rosemary, lavender, etc.) -- but I have no idea what works in this area. And while it states that we're zone 7 (Old Southwest/Cal Arts area), is that what I should go by...or should I go to 6?

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you can give!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Go to the Lowe's and pick up a Sunset Western Gardening book and go to Lowe's garden furniture section and set down and study it for awhile. Or get a Sunset Western Gardening book from the library for awhile. I wouldn't rush out and spend that much as a lot of the book is not relative to Reno.

Have you checked water prices? I don't know about Reno but some surrounding suburbs water prices are prohibitive. We've replace lawns with xeroscaping in Carson City and Fernley.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 6:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agray132(Z5 NV)

Go by zone 6 to be safe. Look at sunset as Albert stated. I would go on Amazon.com and get the 2003 edition used for about $10. 2003 was better than the new one. I live in elko, nv and we are zone 5

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
books on gardening in/near Elko, NV
What are the best books on vegetable and landscape...
newguy453
Laying sod
Hi there, my wife and I are new to the area and just...
Dbarnes0314
Any Help is Welcome
Things to know about me: 1 - I never gardened before. 2...
UglyYard
Container gardening in Las Vegas in the winter
Hi All, I want vegetables, peppers and herbs fresh...
tcreed
how much does the water for a fruit tree cost in Carson City?
The people on the fruit tree forum just don't quite...
albert_135
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™