Native Evergreen Shrubs

jigsawearthOctober 17, 2006

There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit this description. As far as I can tell, Bayberry and Inkberry are the only two species that work in full sun and can take some urban conditions (salt). Inkberry never seems to look very robust, and shearing it to force leaf out on the lower branches can be tricky and doesnt always work.

Bayberry I am not familiar with as a landscaping plant. I can not find any cultivars that stay small, and it is not really a true evergeen anyway (or is it?).

Rhododendrons, laurel, and Leucothe are the only others I know - and they are much pickier.

Any suggestions? What do you all use as your evergreens in the native garden. I know ther are other ways to get 'color' in the native garden with berries and bark, but I want some GREEEEEEEN!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Yaupon holly (including dwarf forms), Anise shrub (illicium species), red cedar (really a juniper and I guess more of a tree), there is a dwarf evergreen blueberry in nurseries now (Vaccinium darrowii), Don's dwarf wax myrtle (relative of bayberry?) ... that's all I can add to your list.

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 4:01PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Also evergreen and for full sun (with moist soil)are Leiphyllum buxifolium, Box Sand Myrtle, and Chamaedaphne clayculata, both native to the Jersey Sand Barrens. There are others too, but my mind has forgotten the names and I'm at work and can't look them up.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 10:40AM
gailgardens(z7TN)

I have just recently come upon Gray Owl (Juniper virginiana)...a lovely grayish bluegreen that looks great. Check it out. It's not green but who needs dark green everywhere? I am using it as a specimin plant in a bed next to my drive way that technically is a part of the foundation. Gail

Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 8:27AM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

American Holly is native, evergreen, and tolerates salt and full sun. It grows rather slowly but eventually can become a medium-sized tree. Bayberry isn't evergreen. Wax Myrtle, which is related but more southern in distribution, is evergreen. Wax Myrtle gets pretty large, as do most of the shrubs if not pruned for size.

Altantic White Cedar, arborvitae, and Red Cedar are all upright evergreens that are commonly seen as shrubs. They eventually get pretty large, but grow rather slowly. Eastern Hemlock is often planted as a foundation plant or hedge. It of course grows very large but can apparently be sheared to a smaller size for many years. Depending on how you define native you might also include White Spruce (Picea glauca), and more to the point the dwarf cultivar you see all the time in gardens and planters. Not sure how these "Dwarf Alberta Spruce" tolerate salt, but they are very tolerant of drought and poor soils.

I think almost any shrub will do fine in full sun if soil conditions are good. The only time I'd expect trouble with full sun is when soil conditions are marginal.

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 8:42PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Another broadleaf evergreen is a plant I got several years ago from High Country Gardens--Arctostaphyllos x coloradensis. I have it in hot, full sun and it's a handsome little shrub. And then there's A. uva ursi--bearberry.

Bookmark   October 27, 2007 at 6:07AM
qqqq(z7 AR)

Ceanothus americana - New Jersey Tea is evergreen / semi-evergreen

Bookmark   December 11, 2014 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™