Transplanting Japanese Maple

themayocynic(NV Z5)March 12, 2010

Has anyone transplanted a Japanese Maple in the Reno area? Does it survive well? Any special tips or tricks one should be aware of?

We have a fairly mature Japanese Maple that does well where it is, but it's in an awkward location and I feel that we limit what we do with that area because of it (as in it's the only thing growing where it is). I've heard it takes awhile for them to grow (ours was here when we bought the house) and I'm worried that moving it might not go smoothly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crazy4cows(5)

I tried "unsuccessfully" for 6 years to grow the cut leaf variety in pots on my back porch. Thrived every summer, and dead every spring. Will likely cave again to try it, but have resigned myself to calling it an annual in my life.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 5:55PM
themayocynic(NV Z5)

That sucks crazy4cows, I'm sorry :\

I think we decided to keep it where it is and just build a new bed around it (yay!) but now we've noticed that it's getting mauled by the gate it's next to. If I hadn't gone to one of the nurseries to see what a japanese maple of that size would cost to replace, I might consider the transplant again. However, I think that amount could possibly bail out the economy three-times over :P

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 10:27PM
famartin(z5 NE NV)

Crazy4cows, did you just leave it in the pot all winter long on the porch? That's likely what did it in. Try planting it in the ground.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
It's snowing in Carson City!
It looks like an old Christmas card outside?
albert_135
Suggestions for landscape plants
I have a good sized back yard with a ton of vegetation....
shabbado
fresh sod for sale!
Hello! We bought 5 pallets of fresh Kentucky blue grass...
Caryn14
Growing Tomatoes in Las Vegas
I am seeking advice for growing tomatoes in Las Vegas. I�ve...
ultravista
What can I grow with limited sun in containers in Las Vegas?
Hello, I'm Mollie and I'm new to Las Vegas. I'm from...
Molliepop
Sponsored Products
SoHo Sign Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™