Echinacea paradoxa?

catherinet(5 IN)October 29, 2006

Hi,

Anyone ever grow Echinacea paradoxa? It's yellow with a big brown cone in the middle. I bought one at a local nursery this week. Anyhow have it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Planted it first time this spring. I bought one at a nursery, and then found some small 4" pot seedlings at a stand selling them as herbs. Hope they grow well, but have fingers crossed for this winter.

George

Bookmark   October 29, 2006 at 9:55PM
terryr(z5a IL)

I've had them for around 7 yrs I want to say. The only time I had a problem was when I wanted one moved and my husband didn't hear me say it has a long taproot, so he didn't get all of it and that one died. I've had them at 3 different houses now.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 9:22AM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

Has anyone grown this from seed? I tried last year and nothing germinated for me. Am not even sure if this thing is hardy in my zone but I really want to give it a try.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 1:44PM
vjhale

I grew it 3 years ago from seed. This year one of my trees grew to where it gets some afternoon shade and it didn't like it, so will be moved this spring to full sun again.

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 10:52AM
wiscoybill(z4MN)

I've been growing Echinacea paradoxa (Bush's Coneflower) here in S.E. MN for over 10 years. Seeds can be fall planted or cold moist stratified for several months if planting in spring. My soil varies from silt to clay loam and plants seem to tolerate moist to dry conditions and our occasional -25F. temps. I've also found it easy to transplant when dormant in the early spring or late fall.
Most of the Echinaceas will cross and you can get some interesting hybrids by gowing E. pallida, E. tennesseensis, or E. angustifolia next to each other. Bill

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Buttonbush: sun or shade?
I have a question about a plant I received for free...
crabbygardener
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™