Suggestions for landscape plants

shabbadoMarch 21, 2014

I have a good sized back yard with a ton of vegetation. Bushes, trees; all kinds of stuff. Anyhow, I have a few spots where I would like to add some new plants, so I am asking here for suggestions.

I would like something that is flowering and can do ok without much sun, as the spots do not get much. I have tried a few plants in the locations without much success, but I am pretty sure they were plants that required much more sun than they were receiving. Also, I would like to put something under one of the trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilhouseonprairie

There are annual flowers that grow here that can receive partial sun. I have a flower bed along my front patio that gets partial shade so I know the challenge! For annuals look at pansies, marigolds, and sweet peas.

There are a number of bulbs as well. Lillies, hyacinths, tulips and daffodils will all tolerate partial shade.

Flowering bushes like bleeding heart (this one can do full shade!), morning glory, coral bells, candytuft, mexican honeysuckle and penstemon all do well here and can handle the shade.

Hope these give you some ideas!

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:14AM
jfield73

This is a website that has some useful information including a vegetable planting guide for this area. http://desertgardening.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert vegetable planting guide

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:30PM
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.

Plants that flower and fair well in partial shade are liriope, star jasmine, agapanthus, and gardenia. There are many others that will grow well in partial shade but the blooms are often sacraficed.

Lynn

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Rose Ramblings

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 5:45PM
zensojourner

Gardenia and jasmine at least are plants that require high humidity - which could be a challenge almost anywhere in this state, but particularly in Las Vegas. I'm not sure about the rest. My jasmine did much better in MO than it is doing here. Sure, it loves the heat - but it loves the humidity, too!

This post was edited by zensojourner on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 0:14

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 12:07AM
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Star Jasmine is not a real jasmine. It does fine here with morning sun and afternoon shade.

Gardenias are very hit and miss.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 1:19AM
zensojourner

Even so - it comes from Vietnam and southern China, neither of which are exactly desert climes. They are humid subtropical regions.

Star jasmine tolerates less humidity than "true" jasmines - but it still does better where there is some actual humidity (as long as its feet don't get too wet). And at 4" average annual rainfall, LV is even drier than it is up here in Northern Nevada (where we get a whole 7" of precipitation per year).

But if you can grow it there in LV, more power to you! The proof is in the pudding.

I would check with the local extension agency for ideas for native plants that might do well in the yard, or check the University of Nevada ag publications - there are a bunch for LV and the Mojave region.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nevada extension publications - check horticultural and agricultural both

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 3:30AM
More Discussions
books on gardening in/near Elko, NV
What are the best books on vegetable and landscape...
newguy453
reno gardening
on gw a bit but had not looked at this before-fellow...
davids10 z7a nv.
how much does the water for a fruit tree cost in Carson City?
The people on the fruit tree forum just don't quite...
albert_135
Growing Tomatoes in Las Vegas
I am seeking advice for growing tomatoes in Las Vegas. I�ve...
ultravista
New to Reno - what are best books for gardening?
Hello! I just moved to Reno in November and we moved...
BluCasetta
Sponsored Products
Plein Air Folding Lounger - Fermob
$745.00 | HORNE
RONBOW Bella 23" Vanity Undermount - Cinnamon
Modern Bathroom
Victorian Cast Iron Hanging Plant Bracket with Swivel Swing Arm
Signature Hardware
Vintage-Inspired Large Steel Rolling Cart
$274.99 | Dot & Bo
Bolla Suspension by ModoLuce
$826.83 | Lumens