Growing bananas in Vegas

aquadm(z8)April 8, 2007

I'm wondering if any of you have experimented with growing bananas in Vegas? I want to grow them in a shady corner of my yard near my house and pool! I wouldn't think about placing them in full sun....the sun would most likely bake them!

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

Never seen it done before ...

I am not a banana grower by any token but I think what is working against you is humidity .. a big factor .. and winter temperatures. Those I think may be the most difficult to overcome.

Container planting may be an option ?? Maybe ? The growing medium could also be formulated better in containers.

Indoors ? A make shift green house. I plan to grow some coffee plants in my upstairs bathroom..two showers a day
should help boost the humidity.

Then again had a client once a natural green thumb that grew some amazing oranges .. just planted the tree in the yard ? While all the "experts" casted doubt on such an idea.

Good Day ...

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 8:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slash-nevada

I had a banana tree growing in my yard until winter came, grew fine in a shady area in my yard in summer. Tried wrapping it with christmas lights in winter,heated it up too much and killed it,got the juices flowing too much! Give it a go, just don't light it up!

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for landscape plants
I have a good sized back yard with a ton of vegetation....
shabbado
New to Reno - what are best books for gardening?
Hello! I just moved to Reno in November and we moved...
BluCasetta
Tree Collards are DYING !
Hi, I already have tree collards, and they were doing...
mojave_gardener
What can I grow with limited sun in containers in Las Vegas?
Hello, I'm Mollie and I'm new to Las Vegas. I'm from...
Molliepop
books on gardening in/near Elko, NV
What are the best books on vegetable and landscape...
newguy453
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™