Sambucus Mexicana Trauma

forthebeesOctober 23, 2012

Several of the native plants I planted last fall died this summer, due to insufficient watering (my over-reaction to having killed off dozens in previous years by over-watering). So I pulled them up and they were, indeed, quite dead. But today I pulled out the Sambucus Mexican (because that, too, looked very dead) and found, to my sorrow, that its roots were still plump and healthy. I put back into the earth almost instantly, tamped down the earth around its roots, and watered it quite deeply. Can anyone here guesstimate its chances of survival?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Can anyone here guesstimate its chances of survival?
I'm an optimist, so think that it will probably survive just fine.

Where are you located?

I'm wondering if it might be best to cut it back some? If it is tall, might it need staking so the roots can take hold and root back in?

See the link below for getting your location (garden zone and location...see I am 5/6 S INdiana) set up so that it will automatically be shown whenever you make a post.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Edit your profile

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 9:01AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

These plants look like dead about half the time. They're native to the Baja and Mexican coastal regions but can adapt to a variety of areas. They're wired to respond to rainfall and cooler temps, basically monsoon conditions, but will often go dormant and look dead after a harsh summer or extended dry conditions.
You don't say where you live so I can't comment on durability. The plant is pretty tough though so it might survive it's recent treatment esp. since it sounds like it was dormant. I'm in southern NM and the plant greens up for a brief time in the summer and then again in the Fall or early winter. Usually in time to get hammered by a freeze and then it goes back to looking dead.
Not my favorite plant, they really get ripped apart by high winds in our area, they need severe pruning to look nice and they look dead too much of the year. I'd rather spend my water $$ on something else.
Keep in mind it's not a tree, just a giant shrub.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:37PM
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

No problem, you just bareroot planted a dormant plant. FWIW, it's native and grows profusely in Southern California and can be a shrub or a tree. Theodore Payne Foundation, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, Las Pilitas Nursery websites can guide you to watering requirements to establish new plants and whether plants are deciduous, summer or winter dormant.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™