Should I buy this Gardenia?

hatrickk289(6b)March 26, 2013

Snow princess, likely a seedling being raised by a nursery, has claims of being hardy to zone 5, according to wildthingsgrow.com. It's difficult for me to trust what they're saying as you can never listen to information from someone who is trying to sell to you, and plus, it's difficult to find anyone with experience with this gardenia as it is not widely sold. Should I take a gamble with this plant? And Can I even trust a nursery who claims Crown Jewel Gardenia is hardy to zone 4? ZONE 4! Some people are lucky if they can grow a Gardenia in zone 7...

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow Princess Gardenia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I went to the website you posted and got "Green Chapel Farms". While the website looks good, some of the claims seem a bit far-fetched to me. One thing that bothered me is that if you read the descriptions of many of their products, the text says one thing while the list of attributes at the bottom of the text says something different, such as hardiness. Also, one description for "Albizzia julibrissn" is just plain wrong, stating that in has flowers in winter or early spring! No way. I would have my doubts about buying there to be honest.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

THis isn't a reply to your question, since I know nothing about gardenias - I was just interested in the vendor, wild things grow. I checked the garden watchdog web site, which you can find by googling garden watchdog. I typed in wild things grow and picked the nursery with that exact name. The link to their web site is broken, and of the 2 reviews on them one is very bad and one is very good.

I don't believe everything I read on the watchdog site, but in this case I think I'd agree with Bill; I wouldn't use them. Google hardy gardenia or ask at a reputable local nursery.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How are you guys holding up in this "Snowpocalypse"??
Hi guys, haven't been posting much, but still lurk...
terrene_ma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™