Japanese Knotweed & Mystery Vine

bob64(6)October 18, 2006

I don't mean to seem ungrateful but I am wondering why properties down the street have japanese knotweed and ours (apparently) does not?

On another note, I noticed a smooth, thick, grey woody vine with almost no branches on the way up and small leaves, reaching straight up from the ground to the canopy of a large oak without touching the trunk. It is not grape, porcelain berry, bittersweet, virginia creeper or poison ivy. Sorry, no pics. Any thoughts on what this mystery vine could be. I am embarassed that I never noticed it in four years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengrove_ac(z6 MD)

Could your mystery vine be either a trumpet creeper or an excaped wisteria? Both have smooth thick vines and only hold leaves high up in the tree. Are the flowers on the vine compound or not?

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 7:47AM
momamamo

I think japanese knotweed prefers moist soil; maybe that's part of the answer. Maureen

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 4:34PM
bob64(6)

There are some small vines nearby that look like trumpet creeper - maybe that's it. I had never seen trumpet creeper with a vine so thick around. The vine also looks a bit like some big wisterias I have seen in people's yards but I can't tell much about what is at the top because it is very high up in the canopy of the oak tree.

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 7:09AM
davidl_ny5

"I don't mean to seem ungrateful but I am wondering why properties down the street have japanese knotweed and ours (apparently) does not?"

Because God has smiled on you, that's why. Do you want the awful stuff?

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 3:12PM
bob64(6)

I'll take all the smiling I can get.

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™