Zone and planting guide

trudyandildaJuly 14, 2011

Hi,

We are moving to the Rancho Haven area of Reno and would like to know what the zone is. Also, where might I find a planting guide?

I love gardening and am looking forward to a new garden!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
highanddry

I'm not sure of the location of Rancho Haven? What part of Reno? Planting guide. I've seen them at Moana Nursery on Moana and the nursery on McCarren and Mayberry-not sure of the name. Zone? That's a good one. When I get my Breck's catalog, they insist we are zone 5. The maps usually deem us zone 7a. I go with 6. Seems closest. I think Ely is zone 5 and they get much colder than we do. Are you from Northern Nevada or another state?

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 12:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I am out east of Reno and I can see three zones from my back yard. You might try asking at Gardening in Nevada. Another thing I would recommend is the Sunset Western Gardening book. I would recommend getting it from a library first rather than putting out that much money. Lowe's often has one. You can take it to their yard furniture section and set there and browse it for free.

Many places in the high deserts you may want to think of yourself as in one zone, the hotter one, in the summer and a colder zone in the winter. However if you are on a slope in Reno that might not be necessary. There are links to zone maps at AHS Plant Heat Zone Maps by State. - Vegetable Gardening Forum - GardenWeb,

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
fresh sod for sale!
Hello! We bought 5 pallets of fresh Kentucky blue grass...
Caryn14
Reno area clubs, groups and societies - list
How about a list of Reno area clubs, groups and societies....
dustin_nevadanorth
Xeriscaping and California quail
Because of age and health we have to resort to some...
albert_135
Are these shrubs gone?
Can someone help me to identify these shrubs? And are...
meccooll
Soil amendment options in Reno
Hello, we just moved from the midwest, and when we...
korerko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™