Late Season Crops - Roots

hidesert_windyJuly 13, 2012

I received an email from Territorial Seeds today, re root crops to plant now for late season harvest. I have never planted anything so late, and with all this heat would never have thought of it.

So what all have you northern Nevada gardeners have planted in your veggie gardens this time of the year. I REALLY want to try turnips again since the quail ate all our early ones, and parsnips which I have never even attempted to grow. If I want to plant some now, what is the window for getting them in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
themayocynic(NV Z5)

I haven't had the greatest success with late season crops but I was thinking of carrots, garlic, onions, bok choi, cabbage and greens/salads since I still have seeds and a medium-duty row cover when the weather starts changing. Possibly even sugar snap peas and various beans.

For me, it all depends on when my husband turns off the water system for winter and I'm stuck using a watering container or the most inconvenient outdoor spout we have which is the only winterized one.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 3:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hidesert_windy

I didn't do much of anything, I did put in a second planting of beets which we are slowly pulling, and I just put in some romaine sprouts. I need another raised bed by spring, one just doesn't do it. I had no room left but I did get in one (ONE) turnip which we ate two days ago :) It would have been nice to have some waiting to pull throughout October and maybe even into November.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Unknown Insect (PIC) on Tomato Stems
See attached picture. It's an insect that's on my tomato...
rampageinc
Soil amendment options in Reno
Hello, we just moved from the midwest, and when we...
korerko
What can I grow with limited sun in containers in Las Vegas?
Hello, I'm Mollie and I'm new to Las Vegas. I'm from...
Molliepop
reno gardening
on gw a bit but had not looked at this before-fellow...
davids10 z7a nv.
Are these shrubs gone?
Can someone help me to identify these shrubs? And are...
meccooll
Sponsored Products
Root Beer Four Square Contemporary LED 36" Sq Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Soccer Ball Pendant by ELK Lighting
$118.00 | Lumens
Vantage Small Bench in Natural
$299.00 | LexMod
Mykonos Beach Towel - BLUE/GREEN
$98.00 | Horchow
Flow Wall 24-root Deluxe Sports Storage System
Overstock.com
Stadt Brushed Nickel Mini Pendant with Brushed Nickel Shade
$180.00 | Bellacor
Benjamin® Union Porcelain Stem Mount Light
Barn Light Electric Company
Glomar South Beach Brushed Nickel 4 Light 30 in. Vanity With Water Spot Glass HD
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™