What can I plant now? Is it too hot? (Las Vegas)

lenaowensAugust 21, 2007

Hello everyone. I'm new to Las Vegas and I've been enjoying reading your posts and I'm sure this is the best forum to join. This is my first post and will be my first attempt at planting a few edibles on my patio. My questions are: When is the next best time to plant anything and what? (vegetables and/or herbs in particular). I'd like to get started right away. I have a small patio....maybe 8 x 10 ft and I'm thinking about filling a plastic swimming pool with top soil, with a few holes in it, and raise it off the concrete. Do you think that will work? Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mohavemaria

Hello Lena(?),

Welcome to Las Vegas. I don't know where you are from but if it isn't from the desert you will find growing things different here. This is probably too late to grow warm season vegetables but fall is a great time to get cool season vegetables in the ground. Things like, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, onions, etc.

I don't know about your swimming pool idea. It seems like it could get heavy when it is full of dirt, plants and water and it might be hard to support it well. Also because drainage is important to plants I wonder if a few holes will be enough. Maybe if you put gravel in the bottom and the holes but then that will add to the weight. Hey, if you already have the pool I guess it can't hurt to try but I'd probably try something a little more like a pot, maybe five gallon buckets with drainage holes punched in?

Anyway a lot of things I try aren't successful but it's a learning process and after 17 years here I'm definately still learning.

Good Luck! Maria

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
books on gardening in/near Elko, NV
What are the best books on vegetable and landscape...
newguy453
Tree Collards are DYING !
Hi, I already have tree collards, and they were doing...
mojave_gardener
New to Las Vegas, what will grow here?
Hi all, I just moved to the Las Vegas area from California...
newbiegardener
Sunset zones
Do you have an idea as to what the Sunset zone for...
albert_135
New to Reno - what are best books for gardening?
Hello! I just moved to Reno in November and we moved...
BluCasetta
Sponsored Products
Delta Linear Suspension by Quorum International
$282.00 | Lumens
Justice Design Group GLA-8702 - Aero 2 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Rippled Ri
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Color Pop Mugs in Red & Gray - Set of 2
$20.99 | Dot & Bo
DW 3528 LED Strip Light 78/m 8mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Radius Arm Cone Path Light by Troy Lighting
$131.00 | Lumens
Moonrays Path & Landscape Lights Outdoor Black Low-Voltage 1-Watt LED
$22.92 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™