Proper pruning of Pomegranate tree.

slash-nevadaAugust 26, 2007

all alliteration aside, what is the proper pruning of Pomegranate trees please! I have a dwarf Pom tree that is more resembling a bush right now. Do I let it grow wild for a year of two and then start shaping it? This is the second summer for this tree. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnnycadoseed(z9NV sunset 11)

Go to the Californis Rare Fruit Growers site. ( crfg.org ) You will find pomegranates in their "Fruit Facts" section. It will give you all the information you need
John

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 12:06PM
mohavemaria

Hello,

I'm not sure what variety you have. The one that I know is dwarf is basically a small shrub and would never be prunable to a tree form. I have the most common variety called "wonderful". I let it grow as a bush for two years and then I started pruning it to tree form in the winter. It still tries to turn back to a bush and I have to keep after it but it is a pretty thing and one of the few fruiting trees I've tried that actually loves it here in Las Vegas.

I would wait until winter if I where you because then you can see the form better and then I would prune out a nice multi-trunk shape out of it.

Happy Gardening, Maria

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 11:42AM
slash-nevada

Thanks, lots of good info at the website. I will wait until winter to prune back my tree, thanks for the help Maria.

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 7:39PM
sshanky(9)

Oops. Mine got very tall (the main shoot is at least 6' tall now!) There are two others, and they are about 2 feet tall. What should I do?

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 2:28AM
mohavemaria

Sshanky,

It is helpful to know what kind of pomegranate you have but it doesn't sound like a dwarf if it has a shoot six feet tall. I would just leave it alone for a couple of years before trying to make the pomegranate into a tree if that is what you want to do. A lot of people leave them as bushes and they like it just fine that way.

Maria

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 9:47AM
joe_qualityimagingservices_com

I have 4 pomegranite trees 10-12 ft tall. 3 produce beautiful fruit one however located more on the west side ( the trees are lined up west-east) bares small fruit and they crack open right away. Is it lack of water? Any suggestions

Bookmark   December 17, 2010 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
What can I grow with limited sun in containers in Las Vegas?
Hello, I'm Mollie and I'm new to Las Vegas. I'm from...
Molliepop
Anyone build a greenhouse in Reno?
Hi all, Has anyone built a greenhouse in the Reno area?...
themayocynic
Tree Collards are DYING !
Hi, I already have tree collards, and they were doing...
mojave_gardener
Suggestions for landscape plants
I have a good sized back yard with a ton of vegetation....
shabbado
Any Help is Welcome
Things to know about me: 1 - I never gardened before. 2...
UglyYard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™