Anyone has success with bulbs? How do you do it?
Ok, so I just started thinking about having a flower bed with bulbs. As the planting time is october/november I still have plenty of time to figure out how exactly it needs to be done. Unfortunately I can not find anything useful and special for our area. :(
I have tons of questions, please help me if you can!
1. First of all is it a realy difficult to grow bulbs in Las Vegas?
2. Is the winter cold enough or they need to be chilled in the fridge?
3. Best timing for planting/chilling?
4. What kind of plants are OK in here? I am thinking about Crocus, Dwarf Daffodil, Early snow glories, Rudy tritelia, spring starflowers, Iris, Early snowdrops... would love to have tulips and lilies, but I think they are even more difficult to grow...:(
5. How abot watering? Drip system for winter and summer both or is it no good for them? How much water?
6. I am thinking about making a planter in the ground, remove the "clay" and replace it with potting soil about 12-18" deep. Good idea or not?
7. How about container? Is it easier? Same procedure as in ground or any diferences?
8. After blooming (hopefuly) what do i need to do not to kill them? let the foliage "die" and leave in ground/container for the hot summer and stop watering or i need to remove them and store? (actually I have no idea where to store them, because the temerature in the garage is ... sometimes higher then outside, and I think even the house isn't cool enough to store them (usually 80 F).
So please anyone who knows about this help!
Thanks in advanced.