soil

desigrlSeptember 25, 2013

I made a raised flower bed by my front door and planted a few various plants and roses. this summer was hot and terrible. Some survived and some did not........ Well it is cooling down again and i wanted to maintain it and plant more.....well the soil is all white and i bought good stuff. Its completely white......what is this and is it bad. I don't want the stuff that's there to die...the surviving plats are looking good...... but im worried.....

any help please....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eureka(SS11 LasVegas/Henderson)

Good for you that you put together a raised bed. Raised beds are much like container planting, they need water everyday because they dry out quickly if you don't have an irrigation system laying on top of the soil. Water is likely why things didn't survive. You also should have mulch of 3 in on top of the soil so the water is held in longer, and the sun doesn't super heat the soil which can get as high as 108* easily and will cook the root system. If you are trying to put bigger plants with a more expansive root system in like roses ( they need at least 24" on soil to grow down into). The white on top of your soil is the collection of salts, lime, and calcium that is naturally in our water. We have very hard water with lots of minerals. You likely believe you have a fungus, not true, it all minerals. You need to water thoroughly and deeply to move the salts and some of the minerals through the soil. You would be helped by buying a moisture sensor at some place like Star Nursery so you can check the soil to make sure it is really getting thoroughly damp. The soils you may have used may not hold water well. You may need to add some additional soils that hold water better. You can check for that at Star or Plant World. Also you can visit the U of N - Reno, Coop Ext Las Vegas at Windmill and the 215 see raised beds that successfully grow veggies and many other plants. There are Master Gardeners there M - F from 8 - 5 and if you watch the newspaper, you will find many classes available to you at the Ext.

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Native Plants - Henderson
Hello all, Seeking any native plant knoledge! Setting...
NJTransplant
Damson plum in the Carson-Reno-Tahoe area?
Do you know anyone successfully growing a Damson plum...
albert_135
Anyone build a greenhouse in Reno?
Hi all, Has anyone built a greenhouse in the Reno area?...
themayocynic
black mulberries/gerardi dwarf mulberries las vegas?
Hi, just soliciting some info from las vegans who've...
Intsia
Container gardening in Las Vegas in the winter
Hi All, I want vegetables, peppers and herbs fresh...
tcreed
Sponsored Products
Grand Prix Indoor-Outdoor Fabric in Cool
$40.00 | FabricSeen
Area Rug: Bazaar Vis Rust-Ivory 7' 10" x 10' 1"
Home Depot
Joy Carpets Rodeo Area Rug - 1512-B-RUST
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Earthwise's TC70001 8.5-Amp Electric Tiller and Cultivator
Overstock.com
Ephesus Collection Multicolor Tree Wave Contemporary Area Rug (8'2 x 9'10)
Overstock.com
Tierra Garden Raised Planter Box - 4427 - 2.5 x 2.5 ft. - 4427
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Southpointe Shag Black 5' x 7'
$88.97 | Home Depot
Area Rug: Metro Pecan/Chocolate 5' x 7'
$66.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™