Michigan lily prop

theresa2(z5)November 3, 2009

I stratified my michigan lily seeds, first warm, then cold in the refrigerator. Some of the seeds have successfully germinated. My plan is to keep them in cold storage until Jan or Feb. Then, I want to pot them up and grow them, over winter, under lights. I'll plant them outdoors come spring. My question is, how deep should I plant them in the pots and how deep do they need to be planted outside in the spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wesley_butterflies(5b/6)

make a hole to hold the germinated seed 2-3 inces in depth
as it grows root/ bigger bulbings bury them in the hole ( slowly as the roots go down )keep the bulb slighly exosed untill you see the stem leaf coming up then keep it at 4 inches deep in the pot ( you can get an idea in the Amaryillis forum in pics of bulb exposure keep the bulb dry soil moist ect.. there both in the same family)just dont leave your bulb exposed

Outside planting 6 inches deep depending on what type of lily it is. Think of 6 inches as a good general idea from me as our zones are slightly different.

Yes I am going to ask what kind of lily ( by name) they are LOL cause I'm nosey
Wes

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 9:56PM
theresa2(z5)

Thanks Wes. The lily I'm propogating is a midwestern native species called Michigan Lily (Lilium michiganense). It is very similar in appearance to Turk's Cap Lily (Lilium superbum) which is more of a southern species. It is quite common for people to identify Michigan Lily as Turk's Cap Lily but there are some slight differences.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 3:32PM
theresa2(z5)

So in response to the original question I posted here, I'd like to announce that I have successfully double stratified my Michigan Lily seeds by first stratifying the seed in warm/moist sand in a zip lock baggie (on top of my refrigerator) for 3 months (June, July and August), then in cold/moist sand in the same zip lock baggie (inside my refrigerator)for four months (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec). Then, in January, I planted the teeny-tiny bulbs in 3" pots with potting soil covered to a depth of 1/4 inch. Within a week or two I had 90% germination success. Yeah! So now, I'm just going to grow them over the remainder of the winter inside, under lights, and plant them out in my yard in spring. I understand that it will be several more years before they flower,(one leaf first year, two leaves second year, third year a plant, possible flower forth year) but I think it's worth the anticipation. Just thought I would post this information in case anyone else is interested in growing native Michigan lilies.

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 11:27PM
terryr(z5a IL)

Good for you!! I've never had any luck with Michigan lily bulbs. I'm not even going off the seed, but by planting the bulb! I hope you have continued good luck with them ;-)

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 8:52PM
northeastwisc(4)

Very nice job Theresa2!

By getting such an early start, you may even have advanced the typical time frame by a year - perhaps something that looks like a plant in the second year. :)

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 12:23AM
theresa2(z5)

Thanks terryr and northeastwisc for sharing your experiences and for your encouraging words. Northeastwisc, I'm hoping that you are right about having a plant the second year, that would be awesome!:)

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™