To my seed sowing expert friends....

whitegarden(Z5 MA)March 23, 2012

I am starting to get drawn in by the catalogs and would like to plant some veggies that I won't be able to find as plants. Here is my questions, is it too late for me to begin starting seeds inside? I am thinking I could put them outisde for part of these warm days.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fixerupperinnh(5)

There should be planty of time. The recommendation on a lot of veggies is 6-8 weeks before the last frost date. Even with the weird weather we've had a lot of people recommend sticking with that normal date before planting out, just to be safe. This is New England after all.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 7:54AM
gardenweed_z6a

I second fixerupperinnh that there's plenty of time. Normal last frost frost date for Z5 is around May 15 if I'm not mistaken which would mean you can start seeds indoors any time up to that date and still expect to plant them out toward the end of May/early June. I normally don't start tomato seeds until sometime in April because they sprout so fast.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 9:05AM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

This like might be helpful! You're not far behind if you start now. Plus everything always seems to catch up anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie Seed Starting Timeline

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Spray-N-Grow Product any good?
Anyone use or success/failures with the Spry-N-Grow...
NorthHadley
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™