Does anything mimic HVX?

Ruth_MI(z5MI)August 28, 2014

I was planting a clematis for my parents yesterday, and this hosta was next to where I was planting. It's coming up on either side of a board that holds gravel under their deck. Their deck was redone (with composite decking) in late November last year.

Mom doesn't remember where she got this hosta. Most of hers came from my garden, but probably 8 - 10 years ago. I've had no issues in my own garden. She has other hostas, but none directly adjacent, and all the rest of hers look fine.

I'm assuming this is likely HVX, unless somehow the construction affected it. It's so strange looking, I don't even know what it's supposed to be, but probably solid chartreuse.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I'm pretty sure that's HVX. Do you have any test kits?

Steve

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 2:02PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you dont need no stinkin test strip.. kill it ..

jeez.. why waste 5 bucks ...

i am not aware of any mimicking ...

i wonder if you sprayed a healthy plant with bleach or deck cleaner.. whether you might get a similar effect .... maybe someone who has some spare green undulata can experiment ...

but i wouldnt waste a minute on this one ... no doubt in my mind ...

you know the drill with shovel cleaning etc....

ken

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 3:21PM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

Thanks Ken and Steve. I couldn't think of anything else it might be, but I'm not knowledgeable about HVX or hosta issues in general. Just seemed strange that it would show itself after 8 - 10 years. OTOH, I guess it could have been like that for a long time and I only saw it because I was planting there. It's kind of under the deck.

I think I'll leave it until next spring (laziness plus experiment to be 100% sure it's HVX), and assuming it comes up the same, I'll take bleach or whatever over there, dig it up, throw it out, plant some persicaria Painter's Palette,sterilize the shovel, and be done.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
When could I remove the covers from the 2 ceramic pots of mini hostas?
The in-ground hostas are still very much in dormancy....
Esther-B, Zone 7b
Bare Root!!!!
Sunday morning. End of march. Jonesing for Spring. I...
gardenfool
22 degrees Fahrenheit Saturday night predicted!
I spent three hours covering hostas when I got home...
zkathy
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
Private email to a poster
Now you CAN privately e-mail a poster...as I just now...
Babka NorCal 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™