Recommendations on Plants from Seed

millefioriNovember 9, 2006

We have a few acres of thinned woodland that I would like to plant with native wildflowers and sedges. Plugging and purchasing individual ornamental grasses from garden centers on such a scale would be cost prohibitive so I need to find a source for bulk seeds. Did locate a German source if necessary but prefer U.S. seed source.

Also, any recommendations as to types woodland sedges and grasses from seed for cold zone 7 and heat zone 7 would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

~ Tru

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momamamo

J.L. Hudson, Seedsman, would be a good start. Maureen

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 7:45AM
sam_md

Ernst Conservation Seed has a woodland mix:
http://www.ernstseed.com/Pricelist/Woodland.htm
Search both Virginia & Maryland Native Plant Societies for sources of local, native seed.
Tussock Sedge or Carex stricta is a great woodland sedge which does best in wet sites.
Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Ernst Conservation Seed

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 5:53PM
stackpopper

have you ever tried to use americanmeadows.com?? i use them all the time.....

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 3:31PM
bob64(6)

I have used Ernst also as well as Wildlife Nurseries, Inc.

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 4:53PM
cookie1944(zone 7)

I like the quality of the seed from www.wildseedfarms.com.
They seem to propegate very fast for me. Good luck

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 5:48PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

What is already growing in the woodland? Are there native plants you want to keep? Is it overgrown with undesirable plants? If there is already vegetation growing in the woods you will have to determine how to get the wildflower and grass seeds to grow. Most seeds do well onl if they have bare soil to sprout in - if there is a thick growth of existing vegetation you'll probably get really poor performance.

I recommend you start small - locate an area of perhaps a few hundred square feet and clear the existing vegetation. Ideally you will pick an area that has some sort of undesirable vegetation and till to destroy what is there and create bare soil for seed germination. Plant your seeds and see what happens, but be prepared for lots of weeds to appear with the wildlfowers. After a few test plots over the next couple of springs you'll have a good idea what plants thrive in your site, what you like, and what you already have that you might want to keep. Don't be seduced by pretty pictures in the wildflower catalogues - many of your local wildlfowers are just as pretty as the ones in the catalogues and the locals will be much easier to grow, in part because they may already be established on your site.

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 11:07AM
bob64(6)

You can also buy a smaller order of plugs that you plant around the property and protect and that hopefully spread over time.

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™