Is dog winkie a threat to my ornamental plants?

goofyisgreen(Z8 PacNW)January 16, 2011

Just wondering about this. I put my doggie (about 70 lbs) out a couple times a day out the front yard so he can "do his business". My front yard is ornamental plants, with a wood chip or compost combo mulch. He usually does what he needs to do within about 30 feet of the front door, although most of the time it is even closer, say within 15 feet or so.

What I'm wondering is if he pees within the root zone or drainage area of some of my more treasured plants, let's say Japanese Maples, Hebes, or Spireas, for example, say 2x a month, is this a threat to the health of the plant?What if it's 6x? 12x?

If this is a problem, is there some lawn and garden product I can purchase than can neutralize or mitigate the problems or threat that dog urine and the chemicals it instills into the growing beds (ammonia?), can pose to my plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Since it burns holes in lawns, it would seem there would be some potential for damage to tree or shrub roots below. Otherwise what you sometimes see is brown zones on shrubs etc. that have become marking posts receiving repeated doses over time.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 1:44PM
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

In the rainy season it's not much of a problem although a 70 pounder is on the larger side. My 35 lb male has created definite yellow and brown patches where he likes to mark. Also the 60 lb female pees right at the base of the back steps and that grass is all dead since the first freeze, I assume from a combination of extreme cold, high traffic, and urine.

When I had a larger male dog and a smaller yard, I put sheets of plexiglass in front of the plants he liked to pee on repeatedly. You could still smell it, and the grass died, but it saved the shrubbery.

I would imagine that a Japanese maple would be pretty susceptible to damage, being so shallow rooted. It's not the ammonia so much, that breaks down fast, as just way too much nitrogen in one spot. I have not known anything to counteract the excess of nitrogen other than lots of water. My grass at the base of my back steps was fine over the summer so long as I hosed it down frequently, in addition to regular lawn watering.

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 12:53PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have a 'Red Edge' Hebe with a brown patch due to repeated sprays by cats.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
richard walden grape
Does any one know of a source for Richard Walden grape...
robert_2007
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Trying to find Oregon Grape for sale
I am trying to find Oregon Grape - the compacta variety,...
garrai818
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
Kristin
Sponsored Products
Round Resin Sedona Planter - LRR23-1510-W
$109.98 | Hayneedle
Bottle Plant Sprayer
$7.99 | zulily
Rain Wizard 40-gallon Rain Barrel
Overstock.com
Copper Window Box Planter with Lattice Frame
Signature Hardware
Jaipur Traverse Inked Area Rug - RUG111587
$83.00 | Hayneedle