Causes of hackberry not getting fruit?

onelunalady(6a)November 17, 2013

Hi,
We planted a hackberry tree around ten years ago to provide food for the birds. It's around fifteen feet tall and it's never gotten any fruit. It gets several hours of sun daily and looks healthy. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks for any ideas.
Anna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Is it flowering or are you finding seedlings around your property? Both flowers and drupes can be very subtle.... ours never lasted long enough to look anything like the large red-to-purple examples you find googling images of the fruits - but they were there and very viable according to the MANY bird-planted seedlings regularly found around our lot and neighborhood before the mistletoe finally did our two trees in.

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:19AM
onelunalady(6a)

Hi,
I haven't noticed any flowers or fruit. It's in our yard and I mow often so I probably wouldn't see any seedlings. I'll look closer next year for the flowers and fruit. Thanks for the help!
Anna

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 12:08PM
wisconsitom

I'm not certain, but maybe hackberry requires two or more trees to set fruit. Even on monoecious plants-those having both "male" and "female" flowers on the same plant, oftentimes the union of pollen from one tree with ovary of that same tree yields no viable seed, ie. fruit. Just a thought.

+oM

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 1:58PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Pretty sure hackberry trees are self-fertile, though have read they depend on wind for pollination. Moot point if the tree is not flowering for some reason. The linked blog has some great photos of the flowers at the end of the post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hackberry flower photos at end of post

This post was edited by bostedo on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 10:22

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 3:50PM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

Fifteen feet is not very large for a Hackberry. Maybe it's just too young yet. Keep it watered in summer may help.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 12:17AM
claydirt(5)

Hackberry seedlings have distinctive looking cotyledons when they germinate. There is a 'notch' at the end of of each cotyledon. Look for these in the yard under the tree in the spring before you mow.

You may just need to wait several more years, as already mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hackberry Seedling

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™