What is this plant still blooming in November??

Don757November 19, 2011

Need to identify a lovely perennial here in Norfolk, Virginia. It reseeds itself, spreads, and lingers into the late fall. It has rather thick, dark green, alternate spatulate leaves at the base with thin stalks of tiny lovely dark red/purple flowers which look like small beads. Total height is about 18 inches. The "beads" come off the main stalk in alternate arrangements with each bead occupying an end of a fine, hair-like "branch." It is very shallow rooted and the leaves and base are very tender and easily snapped. I was told it was "Jewels of the Nile," but it is not a hosta or the large blue "Jewel of the Nile" I am familiar with. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don757

I have photos of this plant, but, being new to the forum, I do not know how to send them. I cannot find a prompt that asks if I want to include pictures.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 3:31PM
greenhaven(SW MI z6)

It sounds lovely! If you can upload the photo to Photobucket (or similar) you can use the "HTML code" provided, and just insert it directly into the body of your post.

Good luck, I would love to see it! Your description was fine, BTW. It is nothing I recognize, but you did an excellent job of describing it's taxonomy.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 3:42PM
esh_ga

Perhaps it is Jewels of Opar, Talinum paniculatum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Talinum paniculatum

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 9:01PM
Don757

That's it!!
Thank you esh_ga!!!!

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 11:41PM
greenhaven(SW MI z6)

Oh how absolutely lovely!!!!!! Is it a native where you live?

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 9:15AM
Don757

I live in the Tidewater area of southeastern Virginia. I was given a few plants several years ago and it has flourished by re-seeding itself like its cousin, the portulaca. The tiny, bright, dark red "beads" (flowers) look like brilliant fireworks bursts suspended above the dark green leaves. It brightens up the late fall landscape. The seeds are round and dark black, a bit larger than poppy seed.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 11:41AM
nativeplanter(8a)

Hi Don757,
I live in Hampton and am much intrigued by your plant, especially since it's native to our area. Do you know where I could find seeds, or do you have any you might be willing to share? If you click on my username, you should be able to send me an email. It would be great to have a local native plant pal!

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™