growing green tea plants in PNW

winsorw(8)January 29, 2010

Hi,

Would anyone like to share information/experience growing green tea plant (camellia sinensis) in the PNW? Is it really evergreen in this area? Which one is better between the variety with the pink and the white flowers. Any recommended vendors?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Has been grown for decades at the Seattle arboretum - and there are supposed to be/have been some old ones at an experiment station in BC.

Coldest winters singe part of the foliage of the arboretum planting(s). Named selections offered by local garden centers may or may not be as hardy as the form grown there - the hardiness of this species varies. You will have to try some and find out for yourself.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 2:51PM
JudyWWW(z7/WA)

I have been growing both for about 8 years. I am at about 900' in north Clark County so we get quite cold, It has definitely been through 8 degree weather. Yes, they are evergreen. Yes, deer love to nibble the tiny new leaves!!!!!! The white flowered one appears to be the stronger of the 2 for me. It is sturdier.
Flowers often ruined by frost. Seem to be slow growing even when not pruned by deer. Can't discern any difference in tea produced. I know both One Green World and Nichols Garden Nursery carry them Both can be googled. Both sell mail order. jwww

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 1:57AM
winsorw(8)

Thank you both for the info. I'll find and get both. We don't have deer around here so they should be happy.

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™